Thread: IP Problems on network...

Exclamation IP Problems on network...

I have a network with around 100 to 150 pc's on it and some of the pc's have 2 IP addresses with it and its using up all the IP addresses in my scope. Is there any way I could delete all the duplicate IP addresses without disturbing the entire network?

Any suggestions with be appreciated.

There is a big difference in network size between 100 & 150 PC's receiving IP addresses from the same scope.

Your post doesn't provide enough details to give you a full response, so here's a couple of questions:

What's the address/netmask or CIDR of your internal network? Are you running something like 192.168.0.0/24? If so, you have plenty of room to handle 100-150 PC's

What is the network range you have setup on your DHCP scope?

Why do some PC's have more than one IP address? Do they have multiple NIC's? Are you using some type of IP aliasing or do you actually have excess and incorrect entries in DNS?

Instead of deleting the duplicate IP addresses you should first answer the questions above. When you know the answers develop a plan to change the size of your internal network or to adjust the DHCP scope to better meet your needs.

Depending on your network needs you might consider using static IP addresses for certain machines and then reserve portions of your DHCP scope for more transient nodes.

Sorry for such a brief reply but additional data is needed in order to adequately respond to your question.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    What is managing DHCP? Sometimes (not often..but I've run across it a couple of times)...a DHCP servers database becomes corrupted...the server doesn't let go of the leases and flush for updates...so it uses up its pool.

I usually have the DHCP pool....router at .1, managed switches from .2 to .9, servers are static set in the .10 to .20 range, printers in .20 to .50, other oddball static things between .50 to .99...and all regular clients handed out addresses from .100 on up to .200....with access points at .253, 252, down to .245 or so depending upon how many.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    What is managing DHCP? Sometimes (not often..but I've run across it a couple of times)...a DHCP servers database becomes corrupted...the server doesn't let go of the leases and flush for updates...so it uses up its pool.

I usually have the DHCP pool....router at .1, managed switches from .2 to .9, servers are static set in the .10 to .20 range, printers in .20 to .50, other oddball static things between .50 to .99...and all regular clients handed out addresses from .100 on up to .200....with access points at .253, 252, down to .245 or so depending upon how many.
    You are exactly right on.