Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: hurricane:west coast version today here

  1. #1
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682

    hurricane:west coast version today here

    sustained winds at 70mph,

    first ever blizzard warning,

    flash flood warning in San Francisco,

    2" rain per hour,

    Ocean tides expected to swell to 30 feet

    "Wind gusts forced some Tahoe-area ski resorts to shut down some or all of their ski lifts on Thursday, and gusts in some areas were expected to top 100 mph Friday and Saturday."

    Power Out, Schools Closed, Flights Grounded
    http://cbs13.com/local/severe.weathe....2.622287.html

    it's pretty crazy here, for california anyway

  2. #2
    SG MVP Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SG Tavern
    Posts
    18,878
    go fly a kite

  3. #3
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

    Ocean tides expected to swell to 30 feet
    Surf's Up Brotherrrrrrrrrrrr!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  4. #4
    SG Enthusiast Easto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    So. California
    Posts
    4,974
    Hasn't hit down here in Los Angeles yet but it looks like it's only a couple hours away.

  5. #5
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    870
    ekk wonder if ill feel it in OC

  6. #6
    Advanced Member MetalHead324's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Surf's Up Brotherrrrrrrrrrrr!
    time to get out the wake boards

  7. #7
    Regular Member DV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    449
    It was supposed to start last night. Nothing yet, but looks foreboding out there.

  8. #8
    Token Dial-up User De Plano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,072
    Lost power for ten hours here 4am-2pm. Swells expected to be 30 feet up here.

    Recorded 78 mile an hour winds within a few miles of my house.

    It would be sort of cool to get one of those weather stations or two. I think it would be interesting to see the difference in weather conditions in three different parts of my property. One that gets the full assault of what comes off the ocean, one for the back part that is a tad more sheltered, and one for down off the hill by the creek.

  9. #9
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,823
    One of the roads on my way to work was flooded about 1' this morning for about 50 yards.

    CHP on each end letting cars through one at a time.

    Full size late model pickup that was 80% submerged in the big ditch off to the side. They just cleaned it out a few weeks ago to prep for the big storms so it's about 3' wide and 3' deep.

    Not sure how the guy ended up in it aside from maybe he tried to around AROUND the flood waters in the worst possible place but it was tilted about 45 degrees lengthwise and the top of the steering wheel was about to go underwater.

    Where's my camera when I need it?

  10. #10
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by De Plano View Post
    Lost power for ten hours here 4am-2pm. Swells expected to be 30 feet up here.

    Recorded 78 mile an hour winds within a few miles of my house.

    It would be sort of cool to get one of those weather stations or two. I think it would be interesting to see the difference in weather conditions in three different parts of my property. One that gets the full assault of what comes off the ocean, one for the back part that is a tad more sheltered, and one for down off the hill by the creek.
    power and cable and DSL just came up,out for 7 hours here


    more coming tomorrow,lots of rain,but not so much wind hopefully.

  11. #11
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    One of the roads on my way to work was flooded about 1' this morning for about 50 yards.

    CHP on each end letting cars through one at a time.

    Full size late model pickup that was 80% submerged in the big ditch off to the side. They just cleaned it out a few weeks ago to prep for the big storms so it's about 3' wide and 3' deep.

    Not sure how the guy ended up in it aside from maybe he tried to around AROUND the flood waters in the worst possible place but it was tilted about 45 degrees lengthwise and the top of the steering wheel was about to go underwater.

    Where's my camera when I need it?
    hwy 80 is closed both directions over the summit,from state line to applegate,

    it has stopped raining for now here.

  12. #12
    Elite Member trogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    12,323
    The beginning of 'Day after Tomorrow'. Run, run...to Mexico.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

  13. #13
    Between Light & Shadows Unholy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Somewhere Over There
    Posts
    2,818
    I hate rainny days in Cali. People seem to drive at half the speed limit or less whenever the ground is wet.
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

  14. #14
    Mystic Beauty Annalysa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    West Seattle Baby!
    Posts
    3,573
    Were currently getting some good gusts of winds here. I havent checked the news to see how the actual coasts are, but we had the three storm fronts a few weeks or so ago. Good luck folks. Oh yeah ask a Texas for the hurricane drink recipe and have fun riding the storm out. Anna

  15. #15
    Elite Member trogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    12,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    I hate rainny days in Cali. People seem to drive at half the speed limit or less whenever the ground is wet.
    Speed should not exceed 40 mph due to possible aqua-planing of tires on drenched roads. And we should keep a distance of 3 seconds from the vehicle ahead.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

  16. #16
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    I hate rainny days in Cali. People seem to drive at half the speed limit or less whenever the ground is wet.
    LOL ya! it's called safe driving

  17. #17
    R.I.P. 2018-07-16 RoundEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Posts
    18,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Annalysa View Post
    Were currently getting some good gusts of winds here. I havent checked the news to see how the actual coasts are, but we had the three storm fronts a few weeks or so ago. Good luck folks. Oh yeah ask a Texas for the hurricane drink recipe and have fun riding the storm out. Anna
    Seen it on the news and it looks pretty rough.

    Also, were you thinking about a New Orleans Hurricane drink?
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

  18. #18
    Uninsured for your health
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    10,028
    I was a good 20 feet behind someone last night and still BARELY stopped 3 inches away from hitting them going 30
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

  19. #19
    Elite Member trogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Posts
    12,323
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    I was a good 20 feet behind someone last night and still BARELY stopped 3 inches away from hitting them going 30
    Travelling at 30 mph means you should be 26 yards away from the car in the front on a clear dry day and 40 yards behind on a wet rainy day (2 and 3 seconds distance).

    You must have pretty quick reflexes to manage stopping at only 7 yards behind the other car.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

  20. #20
    Uninsured for your health
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    10,028
    Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post
    Travelling at 30 mph means you should be 26 yards away from the car in the front on a clear dry day and 40 yards behind on a wet rainy day (2 and 3 seconds distance).

    You must have pretty quick reflexes to manage stopping at only 7 yards behind the other car.
    the car had just pulled in front of me then hit a dead stop. I've made manuvers that I don't even remember making
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Similar Threads

  1. Were can I find what slot I have for vid card
    By agustintorre in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-10-07, 05:59 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-26-06, 12:53 PM
  3. TCP Optimizer version 2.0.2 RC2 (10/06/2005)
    By Philip in forum Broadband Tweaks Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-05, 09:47 AM
  4. TCP Optimizer version 2.0.2 RC1 (10/03/2005)
    By Philip in forum Broadband Tweaks Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-05, 04:18 PM
  5. New Version of jv16 PowerTools 2005 Released
    By hayc59 in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-10-05, 05:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •