Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Scientists create machine that knows what you are thinking'

Certified SG Addict

Post 'Scientists create machine that knows what you are thinking'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1965

Scientists have developed a machine which is capable of reading our mind and revealing our most private thoughts.

American researchers from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, found that, with the aid of a sophisticated scanner and computer programme, they were able to determine how the brain lights up when thinking about different subjects.

Is this it? lol

But seriously, I find that kind of far fetched. But if it is for real, that is very disturbing.
    Test Your Speed Here

Previously known as beaker1.

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burple View Post
    Is this it? lol

But seriously, I find that kind of far fetched. But if it is for real, that is very disturbing.
    Far fetched? Hardly, it is just not widely broadcasted. A little sample of some of the tech out there the PUBLIC can easily find out about. That in itself is disturbing. Makes you question what the type of things the general public will never be disclosed on. I highlighted some things as well. Now for those who know how the patent system works, this tech does not bode well.

United States Patent - 6,011,991 Jan 4, 2000

Communication system and method including brain wave analysis and/or use of brain activity

"A system and method for enabling human beings to communicate by way of their monitored brain activity. The brain activity of an individual is monitored and transmitted to a remote location (e.g. by satellite). At the remote location, the monitored brain activity is compared with pre-recorded normalized brain activity curves, waveforms, or patterns to determine if a match or substantial match is found. If such a match is found, then the computer at the remote location determines that the individual was attempting to communicate the word, phrase, or thought corresponding to the matched stored normalized signal. "

United States Patent – 3,951,134 April 26, 1976

Apparatus and method for remotely monitoring and altering brain waves

“Apparatus for and method of sensing brain waves at a position remote from a subject whereby electromagnetic signals of different frequencies are simultaneously transmitted to the brain of the subject in which the signals interfere with one another to yield a waveform which is modulated by the subject's brain waves. The interference waveform which is representative of the brain wave activity is re-transmitted by the brain to a receiver where it is demodulated and amplified. The demodulated waveform is then displayed for visual viewing and routed to a computer for further processing and analysis. The demodulated waveform also can be used to produce a compensating signal which is transmitted back to the brain to effect a desired change in electrical activity therein. “

Thats a good thing.. no sense in holding back in technology... I'd like to see us get more advanced, increase our ability to live longer, find different power sources etc..

If you don't like it then build yourself a time machine and go back to the 1700's

Yjen article title is misleading hype.
    They are a looooong way off from "knowing what a person is thinking about", and likely it will never occur because there are too many variables to be able to succeed consistantly. Besides, thoughts are not always located in a head. One can place a thought at any location one wants.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Besides, thoughts are not always located in a head. One can place a thought at any location one wants.
    Happens a lot to young men and sometimes to us older guys.

Scientists have developed a machine which is capable of reading our mind and revealing our most private thoughts.

American researchers from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, found that, with the aid of a sophisticated scanner and computer programme, they were able to determine how the brain lights up when thinking about different subjects.
    The level of sophistication of "said device" is no more advanced than looking at the groin of a young man at a beach loaded with hot women.

(no link provided because I could give a rip)
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Yjen article title is misleading hype.
    They are a looooong way off from "knowing what a person is thinking about", and likely it will never occur because there are too many variables to be able to succeed consistantly. Besides, thoughts are not always located in a head. One can place a thought at any location one wants.

Have you checked out either of the patents I posted? There are quite a few patents for inventions ranging from thought reading, method to alter consciousness (Induce Sleep, Induce Hypnotic State - This is from the patents own description) Subliminal Programming via Television to concentrated voices in peoples heads via remote location as was posted in thread about hearing voices ad a bit ago. The technology is there and has been there for quite awhile. Here are a few inventions iv'e come across which perked my interest.

6,011,991-Communication system and method including brain wave analysis and/or use of brain activity

3,951,134-Apparatus and method for remotely monitoring and altering brain waves

6,052,336-Apparatus and method of broadcasting audible sound using ultrasonic sound as a carrier (Voices in head inaudible to others, Can cause Organ Damage etc.)

5,123,899-Method and system for altering consciousness

5,159,703-Silent subliminal presentation system (Subliminal Messages which are inaudible to the person)

... and it goes on and on...The technology is there, it is just if one accepts it or not. Of course, this type of technology is ONLY being used for the betterment of mankind..

just because something has a patent doesn't mean it will work

Certified SG Addict
    Deleted to spare people's feelings.
    Last edited by Brk; 01-03-08 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    As usual, you don't get it. The fact that anyone WOULD patent such things is frightening in itself.
    why be frightened of something that does not work, man you guys really kill me with this crap.

oh and i will save ya the effort of typing it out, Mark, get a clue, open your ears and listen to that radio show, coast to coast, am i right ??

Certified SG Addict
    Deleted to spare people's feelings.
    Last edited by Brk; 01-03-08 at 06:20 PM.

Advanced Member
    Correct me if im wrong but I believe they do not just issue patents to anyone on anything that doesn't work. If that were the case you would have any joe smoe get a patent on anything they could think of. Im pretty sure you have to PROVE that it works via description, drawings, or working prototypes.

oh and don't edit peoples posts mods, no feelings were hurt, i am a big boy and can take it

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    oh and don't edit peoples posts mods, no feelings were hurt, i am a big boy and can take it
    Burke edited it.

Hey Burke, ya getting soft on us now? Are you feeling alright??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frostybear View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but I believe they do not just issue patents to anyone on anything that doesn't work. If that were the case you would have any joe smoe get a patent on anything they could think of. Im pretty sure you have to PROVE that it works via description, drawings, or working prototypes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Burke edited it.

Hey Burke, ya getting soft on us now? Are you feeling alright??
    Someone probably told him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Umm..but the choice isn't up to you.

The level of civility is plan out of control anymore. So whip me if you like but the crap's hit the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Comtrad View Post
    Someone probably told him too.
    You don't know Burke very well do you. lol

I edited it.

_________

Keep the discussion civil. EOS..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    You don't know Burke very well do you. lol

I edited it.

_________

Keep the discussion civil. EOS..