Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: UK: 'Driver fined for leaving engine running as car defrosted outside his home'

Certified SG Addict

Post UK: 'Driver fined for leaving engine running as car defrosted outside his home'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

A motorist has been fined for defrosting his car outside his home because he left it unattended with the engine running.

Ken Hardman was given a £30 fixed penalty notice for leaving his engine on to warm up his car during the cold snap in the morning.

He was prosecuted under the Road Traffic Act offence of 'quitting' which is when a person leaves their vehicle's engine running while they are not in it.

The 45-year-old was visited by a police officer as part of Operation Cold Start which targets residential areas of Chorley and Leyland in Lancashire where car thieves are operating.
    Micromanagement of people's lives is a keystone of a police state.

That's an ordinance up here also...

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    That's an ordinance up here also...
    So you can get fined for risking your own property?

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    So you can get fined for risking your own property?
    Yep

I would call it something not really needed in today's vehicles but its also bad for the environment to leave it running with it not doing anything but sitting there. Not to mention the fact it eats gas for no reason but to what cause your too afraid of a few mins of cold?

I start my truck and usually sit there for maybe 30seconds then drive...that gives the oil plenty of time to move around before pushing the RPM's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I would call it something not really needed in today's vehicles but its also bad for the environment to leave it running with it not doing anything but sitting there. Not to mention the fact it eats gas for no reason but to what cause your too afraid of a few mins of cold?

I start my truck and usually sit there for maybe 30seconds then drive...that gives the oil plenty of time to move around before pushing the RPM's up.
    I guess it depends on how much there is to defrost and how cold it is.

If remote starters are legal there then I would question the law.

How can you say its ok to start the car remotely, yet not being at the car is finable.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post

If remote starters are legal there then I would question the law.

How can you say its ok to start the car remotely, yet not being at the car is finable.
    You got me but that's the way it is. Seems more like a legal loophole for insurance companies not to pay the claim for when they get stolen...

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    You got me but that's the way it is. Seems more like a legal loophole for insurance companies not to pay the claim for when they get stolen...
    Doesnt have to be illegal for the insurance not to pay, its not illegal to keep your car unlocked(yet) but if you do and insurance companies find out it was stolen or broken into like that they wont pay.

Ya know they have things called scrapers you can use...and hmm they also have this spray that removes it in seconds, hell i've even used a credit card to scrap frost off windows... but 30seconds is plenty of time before moving the vehicle to let it run no matter how cold it is..the fear of the "block cracking" is very rare as long as your coolant mixture is done right.

Its a waste of gas to let your car run unattended to defrost. The engine takes longer to heat at idle than it does in gear. I start it just before I clean the snow/ice off, by then the engine is warm enough to kick out a little heat.

Ya know they have things called scrapers you can use...and hmm they also have this spray that removes it in seconds, hell i've even used a credit card to scrap frost off windows... but 30seconds is plenty of time before moving the vehicle to let it run no matter how cold it is..the fear of the "block cracking" is very rare as long as your coolant mixture is done right.
    A credit card? oh hell no its finicky enough with some readers as is. Deicers are good for just ice.

If its iced ont he glass and has a ton of snow on top of that, what I do is turn on the rear defroster, work on the rest of the car, and then wait a min or so and then just push the stuff off the back window and it usually sides well. What gets me is waiting for the fogged up windshield to clear up. I'm too lazy to go back in and wait after I'm at the car already lol.

But some cars take forever to heat up, so I can see a person waiting for that. And hell what other use for a remote starter is there?

But some cars take forever to heat up, so I can see a person waiting for that.
    But see your waiting on it to get YOU warm...I just go and when it warms up it warms up..thats what jackets are for. No sense in wasting the gas like Lefty said not mention the emissions its putting out for no reason.

But see your waiting on it to get YOU warm...I just go and when it warms up it warms up..thats what jackets are for. No sense in wasting the gas like Lefty said not mention the emissions its putting out for no reason.
    Hey as long as it passes emissions I dont care how much it puts out

It all depends on the vehicle as to how long one should wait prior to driving after a cold start. Newer trucks & compact cars operate at higher temps than older/other cars. And performance vehicles take longer to warm up too. For example, you used to be able to improve vehicle performance by getting it to run cooler, such as by using a 170-180 thermostat. Takes a whole lot longer to warm up the engine w/ 50-50 antifreeze. Today's cars & trucks mostly use a 195 degree stat & warm up fast. And a 4 or 6 cylinder engine warms up faster than an 8 cylinder engine.

However, any vehicle should warm up at least 2 minutes prior to driving after a cold start. This allows the engine to come closer to optimum operating temp and also allows thick cold oil to get pumped up to the top of the engine.

Often we get ice on our windshields in the AM. Unscrapable until it gets a bit melted by the defrosters.

If it's cold outside I let my truck idle in my driveway until it warms up. I could care less if it costs me an extra 50 cents in fuel to do that.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

I usually let my truck run for about a minute or two before leaving in the morning but when it gets really cold .. -10f or colder it's going to be warming up for a while before I get in there. And I regularly wake up to ice on my windshield that would shred a credit card in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    It all depends on the vehicle as to how long one should wait prior to driving after a cold start. Newer trucks & compact cars operate at higher temps than older/other cars. And performance vehicles take longer to warm up too. For example, you used to be able to improve vehicle performance by getting it to run cooler, such as by using a 170-180 thermostat. Takes a whole lot longer to warm up the engine w/ 50-50 antifreeze. Today's cars & trucks mostly use a 195 degree stat & warm up fast. And a 4 or 6 cylinder engine warms up faster than an 8 cylinder engine.

However, any vehicle should warm up at least 2 minutes prior to driving after a cold start. This allows the engine to come closer to optimum operating temp and also allows thick cold oil to get pumped up to the top of the engine.

Often we get ice on our windshields in the AM. Unscrapable until it gets a bit melted by the defrosters.

If it's cold outside I let my truck idle in my driveway until it warms up. I could care less if it costs me an extra 50 cents in fuel to do that.

Waiting untill it's safe to drive ie; good visibilety, shouldn't be illegal. People in really cold areas know what it's like when the moisture from your breath freezes on the inside of the windows.

OSULLY

Quote Originally Posted by OSULLY View Post
    Waiting untill it's safe to drive ie; good visibilety, shouldn't be illegal. People in really cold areas know what it's like when the moisture from your breath freezes on the inside of the windows.

OSULLY
    But there are other ways to remove frost..fast and simple than leaving a car running for longer than 30seconds to 1min.

And if your having a issue with the windows fogging up when you breath then perhaps you need to sit back in your cold seat.

And if your having a issue with the windows fogging up when you breath then perhaps you need to sit back in your cold seat.
    Like what? The back seat? lol