237 kbps up (~0.24 Mbps, 29 KB/s)↑
    5120 KB downloaded in 15.258 seconds
    1024 KB uploaded in 35.386 seconds
    Tested on: 2007.12.29 01:25 EST
    Tested from: speedguide.net 2
    Test Link: http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/...t=22X4NU890TQQ
    Latency: 56ms
    Provider: pa.comcast.net

(quick note on rereading everything, not sure why Provider: pa.comcast.net is there, I use charter, but this is directly copy pasted from the tests I just did. I get similar results wired and wireless on speakeasy speed tests)

(second note, on testing further, the Test link it gives me when I do a test leads to the wrong test in the wired one... I have a feeling something's going on with the site, but the info above it seems right)

My ISP is Charter (and has been pretty unreliable since I moved here, couple months ago, though I don't think that's the issue here). My router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b.

I haven't paid much attention to wireless connectivity until today when I bought an xbox 360 wireless networking adapter. I wanted to test the speed on it so I started a demo download. Got to about 12% and realized it was going far slower than wired (probably around 80Kb/sec, as opposed to the typical 300Kb/sec or so I get wired). I couldn't find any way to really test on the 360 so I'm testing on this laptop (core 2 duo, 2gb ram, windows vista).

I'm competent with computers but not so much with networks. I'm a programmer, and can find my way around the linksys admin panel, but can't figure out what the issue is here. It's possible that the router is getting too old and just isn't working like it should be - it's probably 5 years old now, I'm guessing. It's also possible that the RWIN and BDP settings are bottlenecking download, but I can't find any settings in the linksys admin panel for those, and for all I know, they could be windows settings that won't help with my 360 even if I figure it out on this laptop. I've changed this laptop's MTU to 1500 with no success. I've messed around with the SG TCP Optimizer but haven't really gotten anywhere with it. I did notice that with my wired desktop comp(winxp), I can determine the "Largest MTU", but with this laptop wired or wireless, determining Largest MTU will always time out.

Attempting www.yahoo.com

Pinging [69.147.114.210] with 40 bytes ->Request Timed Out
    Couldn't determine largest possible MTU due to packets being lost.
    You might want to try a different URL

I'm stumped. I was hoping I could learn enough about this to change some settings and get things to speed up, but at this rate my best bet might be to get a wireless G router and see if it helps any (not that the G would help over the B, since I'm testing internet connection, but that G is the way to go if buying a new router from what I can tell, and a new router might work better than this old one).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Edit: Just upgraded my router's firmware, didn't help
    Last edited by URNotMega; 12-29-07 at 01:05 AM.

No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I did speakeasy's test about 10 times last night and and this site's test about 10 times. I chose to only mention this site's test because, well, I'm on this site asking questions and thought the nice little copy/paste functionality might be commonly used on these forums. Both tests result in the same speed. I've also done tests on dslreports.com.

I don't know what else to say except there's an issue, either with my router or my wireless settings, and I'm looking for some advice on fixing it rather than just running to the store and buying a new one.

Try resetting the router to factory defaults.
    Disable any apm security.
    Upgrade router firmware to latest version.
    What brand/model router?

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Try resetting the router to factory defaults.
    Disable any apm security.
    Upgrade router firmware to latest version.
    What brand/model router?
    I've reset to defaults and upgraded firmware. Not sure what apm security is. Router is a Linksys BEFW11S4.

I meant "disable any ap security".

Your ap uses a 80211b only and your adapter has 80311g capability. In the adapter properties via Device Manager there may be an advanced setting to lock the adapter to 80211b mode only, even though is should drop from g mode to b mode automatically.

Realize that 80211b states 11 mb/sec but the best you'll ever get on it is about half of that. With a 80211g ap you'll get about half of the 54 mb/sec.

That' linksys model is an old router/ap that never really performed well for wifi. I have one in a box I can't give away.

LRH

I grabbed another router from my parent's house today to test things out. It's a netgear, 802.11b MR814v2. I get no apparently slowdown when I do speed tests with it wired or wireless (both go about 3Mbit/sec down, charter's really slow here), which helps let me know that this router is definitely the problem. However, it fails to connect to websites I'd say 1 out of 5 attempts. But, that's fine, I'm going to pick up a new 802.11g wireless router tomorrow at bestbuy and see if all my issues get fixed.

Thanks for your help.

For future reference, in case anyone finds this thread with a search.

Everything on my BEFW11S4 router is fixed. I can get full down speed wireless in this room and the next room now. One of a few things fixed it (or maybe all of the changes fixed it?).

In the linksys control panel:

1. Under wireless -> advanced wireless settings:
    Set Basic Rates: 1-2-5.5-11 Mbps.
    Set Control TX Rate: 1-2-5.5-11 Mbps

2. Under wireless -> basic wireless settings:
    change Wireless Channel to something other than default and test. I suppose this helps with any potential electrical interference? I changed from channel 6 - 2.442GHZ to channel 1 2.417GHZ.

All is well now from one or all of these changes, hope this helps someone.

Thanks for the update.