Thread: Router problem

Router problem

One of our customers is having us setup a webstore for them that's hosted, but they host their web site in house. The issue I'm running into is that their router is setup to keep everything that's companyname.com inside of the lan. Not knowing this we setup the store url to be store.companyname.com.

So every time they attempt to go the web store the router doesn't let them out. The obvious solution was to have them simply enter the ip address of the store. But we ran into an issue there as well.

We are using Volusion as the web store and there's a setting in the control panel that let's you set it to either use the ip address or the domain name.

So if it's set it to domain name and I enter the ip address it redirects to the domain name. Which keeps us from being able to get out from the router.

If we set it to the ip address they can get out to see it, but anyone who shops on the store will be redirected to the ip address in their browser even if they've put the domain name in.

I think it's strange behavior on Volusion's part, but so far their support has given me "that's how it works" type of answers and I'm stuck.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting around this besides changing the URL of the store? That's kinda my last resort.

Thanks.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Do they have a domain controller, or some other source of local DNS? Just make an a-record/CName for that..and point it to the proper public IP.

This allows you to get past those cumbersome .com setups when .local should have been used.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Do they have a domain controller, or some other source of local DNS? Just make an a-record/CName for that..and point it to the proper public IP.

This allows you to get past those cumbersome .com setups when .local should have been used.
    They do have a domain controller. I just created an A record for the store with the correct public IP, but that didn't seem to fix the problem. I did notice that Update associated pointer record was unchecked. I didn't want to change this not knowing exactly what it will do, but would that being unchecked make a difference.

I'm not super familiar with DNS settings on the server side so I'm trying to tread lightly. The person who had been handling their IT work is no longer there so I don't have anyone there to ask about how they set it up.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chuskey View Post
    They do have a domain controller. I just created an A record for the store with the correct public IP, but that didn't seem to fix the problem. I did notice that Update associated pointer record was unchecked. I didn't want to change this not knowing exactly what it will do, but would that being unchecked make a difference.

I'm not super familiar with DNS settings on the server side so I'm trying to tread lightly. The person who had been handling their IT work is no longer there so I don't have anyone there to ask about how they set it up.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Nevermind, that did work! I guess it just took a minute for the DNS to allow the new rule. I guess I was just impatient

Thanks so much!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by chuskey View Post
    Nevermind, that did work! I guess it just took a minute for the DNS to allow the new rule. I guess I was just impatient

Thanks so much!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!