Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got an XBOX 360...

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good

Just got an XBOX 360...

Well, it's being shipped right now so I'll need your recommends and tips.

I know there's a way to connect it to the net without buying microsoft's wireless adaptor, a link would help. I have a couple of wireless router sitting around so I think I have a clue but detailed instructions would help. Thanks.

I'm looking at games that I have to get for the xbox and so far the bundle I got come with Halo 3, Two Worlds, marvel ultimate alliance and forza 2. Out of those games, i really only want to play forza 2.

I'm going to get more games. I love arcadey fighting/racing games. I'm not going to get a game on the xbox if I can get the game on pc. I completed COD4 on PS3 and it was fun but I'm sure I'll have loads more fun if I played it on the PC. Still no FPS on consoles for me.

So far my to get list includes: Virtual Fighter 5, DOA 4, possibly GOW cos I hear lots of good things, Mass effect. What others do you recommend me to get?

Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to playing with you folks someday soon!

Wireless... http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=234170

My must have games are...

Madden NFL 200x
    Forza Motorsports 2
    Rainbow Six Vegas
    Tiger Woods PGA 200x

Games I plan to buy and have heard are awesome...

Assasins Creed
    Mass Effect

I'd recommend that you fiddle around with demos or rentals on some of the love/hate games like Assassin's Creed and Dead Rising (both in the love category from me). Ace Combat 6 and Mass Effect get my full thumbs up, as does Eternal Sonata if you're looking for a typical JRPG title.

As far as fighting games go, your only real options are the two you mentioned, although Soul Calibur IV will be out sometime in 08.

I'm not thrilled with some of the changes Criterion made in Burnout Paradise, but it's still looking quite worthy (even if the series seems to have peaked at Burnout 3). PGR4 is also worth checking out if you're looking for a racer that isn't more of the sim-type like Forza.

great thing about the 360. is you can download a demo of almost every game . so try out demo's before you buy

Guitar Hero 3
    Rock Band
    Oblivion Game of the Year Edition (comes with both expansions)

MS points to get arcade games

Dead Rising
    Bioshock
    COD4
    Halo 3
    GOW
    C&C TW

Didnt play 360 in a long time, started playing Mass effect and Assassins Creed.
    Looking forward for Halo Wars, Army of two, and who knows when/if RE5 will be released.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

I just don't quite like fps on consoles. I did like COD 4 on the PS3 but I know I'd love it on pc.

I guess I'll give halo 3 a shot since it does come with the bundle. I should trade in two worlds. It comes with the bundle and t he reviews I've read so far are crap. I'll have Mass Effect and Oblivion to occupy my time.

I've been looking at splinter cell double agent. I've always liked that series.. don't know if it's worth the buy.

thanks for all the tips. I can't wait until it gets here so Ican try it out.

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm.. Assassins Creed I would only rent that game, I beat it in 3 days just taking my time, most people beat the game within the rental period (5-7 days)

As for games to buy..

Mass Effect is really good. it's the first of a trilogy. Rather short if you're just doing the main storyline but even so you could beat it in a day or 2 but if you're into achievements it'll add a lot of a replayability to the game, not only that unlocking achievements unlock different in game items and every playthrough adds some items too via a certain mission in game.

Level Cap is 60 in that game in case you're wondering, you can't max out all your skills.

Eternal Sonata, definitely would buy if you're into JRPG's, Very long, not sure if you're into classical music but it has a lot of that in there. Good story too. Has some replayability.

If you like the fighting genre I'd recommend:

Virtua Fighter 5
    Dead or Alive 4
    and whenever it comes out, Soul Calibur.

Racing

Project Gotham Racing 3/4
    Forza 2 (already mentioned)
    Well you know what?
    Go here: http://games.teamxbox.com/index/xbox-360/by-genre/10/
    that's all the racing games for the 360 plus some that are coming out.

Other than that seeing as you don't want FPS, that eliminates the majority of games quite unfortunately, I've gotten bored of FPS's myself. Anyways, I suppose it'd help a bit but even so I think my input was pointless. Ah well.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    Only racing game worth playing is Forza2, other ones are way to arcady for me. Get the wireless wheel, its amazing!

single player fps - bioshock (may have already played for PC, great atmosphere and acting in this game)
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Thanks for all the comments.

I was just reading though it and the xbox I bought might not be the newer ones with the hdmi ports or even the smaller chip. Should I just return it?

I mean it's a good deal and all but if it doesn't have hdmi port, what's the point? How do I even get it to 1080i? I'm not too good with these things.

games I got so far:

Table tennis
    Oblivion game of the year edition
    Mass effect
    DOA 4
    Forza 2
    Halo 3

I'll probaly trade marvel ultimate alliance and two worlds for something else just because it comes with the bundle. Not into those games...

the 360 will do 1080i/p over component cables.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    the 360 will do 1080i/p over component cables.
    So.. I should just keep it and play with it?

It's a goood deal really. I get 4 games practically free so I don't want to return it. It's one of those one day sale thingys.

The smaller chip won't offer any real performance gains (it is a console), only less heat generated by it, and if you just purchased a new system, there's a good shot that you'll get the smaller chip anyway. However, if you purchased a Pro that doesn't have HDMI, the chance of that chip being in there is somewhere between zero and none.

I'd be shocked if you picked up a new 360 that didn't have HDMI, since it's been a standard feature of the Pro and Arcades for months now. Do you have the system yet? If so, simply check the back of the machine to see if there's an HDMI port or not.

Enabling 1080i (or any other resolution, assuming you're using component or HDMI cables) is done through the system "blade" (the one all the way to the right). You can set all of your display options right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'd be shocked if you picked up a new 360 that didn't have HDMI, since it's been a standard feature of the Pro and Arcades for months now. Do you have the system yet? If so, simply check the back of the machine to see if there's an HDMI port or not.

Enabling 1080i (or any other resolution, assuming you're using component or HDMI cables) is done through the system "blade" (the one all the way to the right). You can set all of your display options right there.
    that's the thing.... I've read that this bundle is cheaper because they wanted to clear out the old stock. I'm not quite sure yet because I haven't received it.

As long as it can do 1080i in component cables then I couldn't care less if it's hdmi... it doesn't make that much of a difference does it? 40 inch lcd?

Some TVs can only do 1080p over HDMI, few can do it over component. If your TV is only 1080i, then that's obviously a non-issue. The only main "feature" HDMI will give you over component is an all-digital picture as opposed to analog (which will look virtually identical) and HDCP compliance. Thankfully, the latter won't be used anytime soon, and it wouldn't apply to games anyway.

In all honesty, if you got a good deal on it, I'd keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
    Oblivion game of the year edition
    Mass effect

I'll probaly trade marvel ultimate alliance and two worlds for something else just because it comes with the bundle. Not into those games...

My tv is the latest sony bravia and it does 1080p. Does xbox do 1080 p?

If I can't tell the difference in picture quality, it doesn't really matter to me. I just want to play video games.

The machine will do 1080p over component, but like I said, some TVs will only display that resolution if you're using HDMI.

Either way, I'm in the camp that says the different is minimal unless you're using a large TV and/or are possibly sitting way to close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The machine will do 1080p over component, but like I said, some TVs will only display that resolution if you're using HDMI.

Either way, I'm in the camp that says the different is minimal unless you're using a large TV and/or are possibly sitting way to close to it.
    Then I'll be keeping it.

My sis bf told me that component only does 720 which got me worried. Ah well, he doesnt get to play with me now! GRR

I just got a new pro for Christmas also, do I need the Microsoft HDMI cable or will any HDMI cable work?
    Right now I'm connected component but want to change it over to HDMI.