Thread: The Stock Market

The Stock Market

DOW...

NASDAQ...

Those don't include the devaluation of the USD. So they aren't going up and down. It's actually flat lining and dropping.

Gotta love recession.

I'm still holding out for it to go down a bit more. I've been holding onto a little cash reserve thats looking for the right time to get into some growth funds.

Certified SG Addict
    Get the hell out of the stock market, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Get the hell out of the stock market, people.
    I've made alot of money in the past.. you just have to be smart and research what you invest in.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    They keep using the word 'uncertainty', but I think it's easy to be certain about what is going on.

Agreed. I'm just waiting for the big drop and to see how people react to it. I think a lot of people think things are just fine. Once the market actually reacts to what's really going on... It's going to be one hell of a wake up call for a lot of people.

That's when I plan to start investing.

I bailed this summer. Nobody knows wtf is going on.

I think that if all we get is a recession we'll be lucky.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Yeah I've bailed on stocks too. I'm curious on what some of you think of the overseas markets. Do you think a big downturn in ours will affect some of the other markets?

Is it really a true analoy that if Wall Street sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold?

I've read that the sub prime market fisaco has affected the European markets.

The stock market is only 10% of our economy.

If the rest of the world sneezes...Wall Street will get a cold. China coughed a few months ago and the market lost a solid 3%+

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Yeah I've bailed on stocks too. I'm curious on what some of you think of the overseas markets. Do you think a big downturn in ours will affect some of the other markets?

Is it really a true analoy that if Wall Street sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold?

I've read that the sub prime market fisaco has affected the European markets.
    You have to take into account dollar fluctuations too. If the dollar goes up and you're invested in a flat international market you just lost money.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Blog Entries
    As far as my 401k and IRA mutual funds.. I consolidated all of my assets into bonds and prime money market funds. I've been doing pretty well, considering the volatile trends of the market

I think we're headed for a huge nosedive. It won't be catastrophic but like I said earlier, it's going to be one hell of a wake up call.

I guess we can all come back to this thread at the end of summer and compare notes(?)

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I've made alot of money in the past.. you just have to be smart and research what you invest in.
    It's not about being smart or doing proper research, it's about the system constantly teetering on the brink of collapse. The president stubs his toe, and the market drops. Common sense -- to me, anyway -- dictates that something so tenuous should not be relied upon.

The stock market is merely a way for Joe American to feel as if he's a player in the financial game, when his money is nothing more than cannon fodder for the real players, most of whom divest themselves of domestic holdings and the dollar as fast as they can. You're sitting there with your three-digit dividend check while the big shots light their cigars with hundred dollar bills.

Risk is inherent in investing. I think years of strong stock market returns have fooled people into believing that by "doing the right research" they are making a secure and wise investment. In truth, no individual should invest money that they are not fully prepared and able to lose!

All stocks (be it small or large cap) should be considered high risk investments, and should only represent a portion of any diversified investment strategy. It's not much more than educated gambling.