Thread: Dell Dimension Problem Starting Up

Dell Dimension Problem Starting Up

Hi, I have a Dell Dimension 4400. I opened and reseated the Memory card and it does not boot up anymore. The diagnostic light at the back light up as
    A. Green B. Green C. Green D. Yellow

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...es.htm#1101572

which means "Other Failure" -- See "Contacting Dell" in the Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

Since I bought this used, i dont know if they will help me.

Wondering if anyone has any idea how to solve this.

Did you have the power off and unplugged and yourself grounded before you took out the reset the memory stick? If not, you could have fried it. Pull it out and carefully check each connection looking for any kind of black smudges (burn marks). It's possible you fried the MB too if you didn't reseat it correctly.

I thought I smelled something burning but I can't see any smudges on the memory nor anywhere else. The only thing that smells burnt is the USB hub. Do you think replacing the memory will solve the problem? If so, can I get a 1GB memory. I used to have a 256 MB.

It just depends on what was fried. If it was just the memory stick then replacing it should work. However since you can't find anything on the stick, it could very well be the socket that was holding the memory. Do you have another memory socket that you could use? If not, you would need a new MB if the socket is fried.

I'm not positive on all this, so if someone could confirm or deny what I am saying, it would help this guy out more.

I dont think they make these MBs anymore. I'm gonna try a new memory and see what happens.
    There are two memory sockets. I hope the other still works if one is fried.
    Thanks for your help.

Umm let me get this straight.. system was working fine so you reseated the memory and it don't work now? Did you pull the sticks while it was still plugged in?? Because you never answered that question. Otherwise what is the service tag on the machine and I'll check the warranty status for you..just shot me a PM with it if you don't want to post here.

SG Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Otherwise what is the service tag on the machine and I'll check the warranty status for you.
    Elaborate on this

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Elaborate on this
    I'm Dell Certified, I can log in check the status of warranty and order warranty parts direct without having to deal with their CSR's.

SG Elite
    I'm Dell Certified, I can log in check the status of warranty and order warranty parts direct without having to deal with their CSR's.

i dont have the service tag right now but i can look it up in the evening. I think I pulled out and reseated the memory after pulling out the power chord. I never open the machine with the power chord on.

What was your reason for reseating the memory?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I "think" there was a series in the 4400 line which were shipped with motherboards that had bad capacitors...check with Dell..even if the tower is out of warranty, if it's one of the series which had the bad batch of motherboards..they will ship you a replacement motherboard under recall. A school I take care of had a few dozen Dell towers...I think they were the 4400 series..two of them ended up failing to power up...checked with Dell..out of warranty..but they had a recall on this line. Shipped up replacement motherboard for all the PCs that the school had..even if they didn't fail yet.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I "think" there was a series in the 4400 line which were shipped with motherboards that had bad capacitors...check with Dell..even if the tower is out of warranty, if it's one of the series which had the bad batch of motherboards..they will ship you a replacement motherboard under recall. A school I take care of had a few dozen Dell towers...I think they were the 4400 series..two of them ended up failing to power up...checked with Dell..out of warranty..but they had a recall on this line. Shipped up replacement motherboard for all the PCs that the school had..even if they didn't fail yet.
    they had these in the GX series as well.. I've seen several replaced for this very reason, I had one explode one day, along with one going bad that kept the Processor fan running wide open which only a restart would fix.

I checked my tower and well, the previous owner had scratched out the service tag. Is there any other way to access the service tag?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by ppiya View Post
    I checked my tower and well, the previous owner had scratched out the service tag. Is there any other way to access the service tag?
    Look in the BIOS...also Dell has an active X utility on their website you can run through Internet Explorer..which "sniffs" your system and will display it.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    they had these in the GX series as well.. I've seen several replaced for this very reason, I had one explode one day, along with one going bad that kept the Processor fan running wide open which only a restart would fix.
    I had many boards replaced on the Optiplex GX270s.

I can't get the computer to run at all. It only starts up and stalls while the warning light at the back stays on. I tried a diff memory stick but that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by ppiya View Post
    there is no reason why they would do that unless it was stolen... I would salvage what you can and put it in another case or whatever and get rid of the other parts.