Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Brand of Cell Phone is best?

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

What Brand of Cell Phone is best?

Just wondering if those people out there can share their opinion about what cell phone brands they like and dislike.

The Motorola W385 is a good enough phone, I'm just wondering if I should get something a little better (better screen & email capability). It costs $6 to get call display and $10 to get a package that allows more texting and web-browsing so a better phone would enable that. Hard to decide.

In my mind Motorola is the best - good reception and durable. LG and Samsung - I still view Korean stuff as cheaper electronics. Nokia and Sony I I think they are more hit and miss on some models.

I value any opinions out there. Rank Motorola, Nokia, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson.

I have had a couple Motorola phones over the years and never a prob,my wife and I have had V3's for over a year now and love them

ericsson is a POS imo,had two and had nothing but probs

oh ya,and I like ATT/Cingular service the best of all the ones I have had

moto,
    i have beat the crap out of them and they still tick. i dropped one in a puddle for over 2 hours and it turned on no issues. beaten them to peaces and they still work

I love my LG phones.. best I've ever had!

i have had my moto for a year now, and it has taken a beating, but still works fine.

[sarcasm]One that doesn't ring[/sarcasm]

To me thats the most irritating thing about cellys.

So not to thread jack Motto.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Preferred the reliability, toughness, and signal strength...of Motorola phones over the years.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

LG & MOTO for about 6 years now and both excellent phones. I'm not into much but good "phone" service so the W385 works good. Sturdy as heck, slim with great reception and battery life. My kids have fancy Samsungs and they aren't in the same league.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post

To me thats the most irritating thing about cellys.

So not to thread jack Motto.
    yeah I leave mine on vibrate when I'm in public, at home I turn the ringer on. But I agree I can't stand to be eating somewhere or just walking through the mall and hear several of them things going on. They only do it for attention since all of them now have vibrate.

Motorola and Nokia.
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    But I agree I can't stand to be eating somewhere or just walking through the mall and hear several of them things going on. They only do it for attention since all of them now have vibrate.
    no kidding ...
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by Rivas View Post
    Motorola and Nokia.
    Altough I don't like Nokia trying to keep the same damn "candybar" shape for over a decade.
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

My latest is the Casio G'zOne Type-S, hands down the best phone I have ever owned. VERY tough, excellent battery life and reception, Consumer Reports rated it the best cell phone.

Well my LG did not seem to make it through my impromptu "washing machine" test.

I bought it because everyone at the store said it had the best reception. Checked Cnet and it said the same. Came home and noticed my buddy with an older Motorola always had better reception than me, including several places that I could not get any signal and he could have pretty much clear conversations

plus with moto's depending on the model i can hook you up with crazy hacks and mods. and the greats mod fo all works on any moto. if your going tdma (gsm) there's a small edit to make it use EMR wich makes the call quality twice as good vs fmr (emr contantly sends and receives voice data where fmr sends it in packets)

Quote Originally Posted by De Plano View Post
    Well my LG did not seem to make it through my impromptu "washing machine" test.

I bought it because everyone at the store said it had the best reception. Checked Cnet and it said the same. Came home and noticed my buddy with an older Motorola always had better reception than me, including several places that I could not get any signal and he could have pretty much clear conversations
    Yeah older phones have better reception than newer phones. The FCC or some other regulatory agency, made the manufactures turn down the power on the antennas to help the consumers brains from turning to mush.

I've had Motororlas, Samsungs and my latest is an LG. Each was better than the one I had before. I can't believe how long the LG lasts between charging now.

The best cell phone is the no-frills, pure telephone for making and receiving calls and selling at below US$60.

All others with this or that added function are a pure waste of money.

We need to have at least VERBAL communication to maintain social ties. Not reading a bunch of crap off a 2 x 2 colour screen. Our computers are already reducing our direct interaction with people. Don't let the cell phone cut us off completely.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post
    The best cell phone is the no-frills, pure telephone for making and receiving calls and selling at below US$60.

All others with this or that added function are a pure waste of money.

We need to have at least VERBAL communication to maintain social ties. Not reading a bunch of crap off a 2 x 2 colour screen. Our computers are already reducing our direct interaction with people. Don't let the cell phone cut us off completely.
    Yeah I'm afraid that I'm coming to the same conclusion...actually regretting huge through my 20's how I didn't keep more in touch with some friends and even extended family.

When I'm on the train going to work at 7:30 will I be phoning people to catch up no....would I maybe have time to send them a quick email....yes. I think I'll go with the basic phone and see in a year how badly I want email. I think the rub is, if I want email I want a phone with a mini keyboard not just a number pad.

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    plus with moto's depending on the model i can hook you up with crazy hacks and mods. and the greats mod fo all works on any moto. if your going tdma (gsm) there's a small edit to make it use EMR wich makes the call quality twice as good vs fmr (emr contantly sends and receives voice data where fmr sends it in packets)
    I think that I'll activate with Telus which is CDMA or something like that (not GSM). That is something I regret getting in so late in the game, I know F-all about cell phones.

I even wonder why when I buy a plan some phones are like $500 with no contract but available brand new on Ebay for $200. I'm wondering if there is some kind of catch related to needing to unlock the phone and stuff like that....or conversely if the phone is unlocked does that sometimes also mess something up.