Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a PS3

Blog Entries

Thinking of a PS3

Mainly for the blu-ray, but for some gaming. Does anyone here have one?

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Fire away with any questions.

SG Enthusiast
    Have one too.
    Looking for work............

I'm thinking about it too, was playing COD4 on live yesterday, getting bored.
    Jim what are some good games for PS3 ?
    I dont care for the blue ray since I have burner but anyway ...
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

dont do it! its a trap!

Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

So what is this thread, a statement of intent and nothing else?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    So what is this thread, a statement of intent and nothing else?
    Yes, but with the willingness to hear opinions.

Hell_Yes

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Yes, but with the willingness to hear opinions.
    Blue ray player? It's about 260 bucks, Asus I think.
    I have lite on BDR burner, burned with it 4 discs, not using it at all, thinking about selling it.
    FOr games ? I dont know, the 360 really does have way more games.
    Jim can list all cons and pros I do believe ...

- Emiliano Zapata

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivas View Post
    Blue ray player? It's about 260 bucks, Asus I think.
    I have lite on BDR burner, burned with it 4 discs, not using it at all, thinking about selling it.
    FOr games ? I dont know, the 360 really does have way more games.
    Jim can list all cons and pros I do believe ...
    I am staying away from a BD-r (ok....how much) until the media drops in price. It still ranks as a reasonably priced player.

True the 360 has more games as of now (and the foreseeable future) however two games did intrigue me for the PS3.

Hell_Yes

Those two being...?

On a related note, if and when you do decide to purchase one, make sure you avoid the 40GB model, unless you know in advance that you have no intention of ever playing a PS2-format disc in the system. On the flip side, if such a feature has no interest to you, save the $100 and grab that one.

EDIT: My quickie take on the PS3 is still the same as it was, and pretty much has been from the start. Great hardware. Decent media center options and great BD playback. Software still mostly sucks, with a few exceptions, but that's something that time will easily take care of.
    Last edited by Jim; 12-25-07 at 07:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Those two being...?

On a related note, if and when you do decide to purchase one, make sure you avoid the 40GB model, unless you know in advance that you have no intention of ever playing a PS2-format disc in the system. On the flip side, if such a feature has no interest to you, save the $100 and grab that one.

EDIT: My quickie take on the PS3 is still the same as it was, and pretty much has been from the start. Great hardware. Decent media center options and great BD playback. Software still mostly sucks, with a few exceptions, but that's something that time will easily take care of.
    Heavenly Sword being one, the other presently escapes my addled brain. The 80GB model handles PS2 games through software emulation. From what I have read, it is not all that impressive at that task. I do want the extra ports, so it will be on the list.

Hell_Yes

Was it Uncharted?

The 80 handles PS2 games through a mix of hardware and software. Like I said, if playing a number of PS2 games is a feature you're looking for, see if you can still snag a 60 somewhere, since that's almost full hardware compatibility. If not, the 80 is obviously your only choice.

The PS3 plays the PS2 games well enough as a whole, it's just that their upscaling isn't all that hot (no AA like the 360's back compat) and their graphic smoothing option looks like someone rubbed Vaseline over your TV screen. Beyond that, the system now does a competent job of playing the older games, something I couldn't say when it launched last year.

I am staying away from a BD-r (ok....how much) until the media drops in price. It still ranks as a reasonably priced player.

True the 360 has more games as of now (and the foreseeable future) however two games did intrigue me for the PS3.
    it's listed in marketplace, and it's SATA

- Emiliano Zapata

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    IM personally waiting on the new Metal Gear before jumping, even then i may hold off. Depends on if it delivers on the promise to change everything again, like the original MGS for PSX.

For me the 360 was cheaper and has way more games and a great online enviroment to play on.
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoPColtrane View Post
    IM personally waiting on the new Metal Gear before jumping, even then i may hold off. Depends on if it delivers on the promise to change everything again, like the original MGS for PSX.

For me the 360 was cheaper and has way more games and a great online enviroment to play on.
    it's cheaper and also it's not.
    add HD DVD player, wireless headset, more wireless controllers, the rechargable batteries with station, remote, 4-5 games and you will hit 1000 bucks.

I dont know much about PS3 but I do know (thats what they said at xbox-scene) Intel signed contract with MS for future improvements including the 45nm cpu's.
    If it's true or not, I have no idea but if you look at the first 360 and then what they are selling now it's "slightly" different.
    I think Jim could tell us more about it since he got more reliable sources.

- Emiliano Zapata

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivas View Post
    it's cheaper and also it's not.
    add HD DVD player, wireless headset, more wireless controllers, the rechargable batteries with station, remote, 4-5 games and you will hit 1000 bucks.

I dont know much about PS3 but I do know (thats what they said at xbox-scene) Intel signed contract with MS for future improvements including the 45nm cpu's.
    If it's true or not, I have no idea but if you look at the first 360 and then what they are selling now it's "slightly" different.
    I think Jim could tell us more about it since he got more reliable sources.
    It would offer little in terms of performance though it would run cooler.

Hell_Yes

It would offer little in terms of performance though it would run cooler.
    I highly doubt that.
    It all depends on developers if they will take advantage of e.g. 16 core cpu's.

Did you see the intel boxed heatsink/fan for the 45nm cpu's ? It's 3 times bigger, taking 2/3 of mobo.

- Emiliano Zapata

I believe David's referring to the fact that, as a whole, a game console is designed to fit a certain spec. Parts may improve over the lifespan of the machine, but the games are designed to run on any 360, not just ones with a particular "manufactured on" date stamp.

The CPU and GPU may become more efficient over time, but they aren't going to be more powerful in typical sense.

Get a PS3, its well good...depending on what type of games your into heres a few I have that I'd recommend

Resistance Fall of Man - Cracking 1st PS game with a good online mode IMO
    Motorstorm - Very Nice Racing game which has a good online mode IMO
    Assassin's Creed - Nice Stealth like sort of game set in medevil times with a good story.

Not to mention as you said, the Blue Ray dvd's which are really top quality if you have an HD Wire & TV.
    "Stupidity - Quiters never win, Winners never quit, but those who never win & never quit...are idiots"

personally id wait if your gonna get the PS3 just for blu ray, as blu ray is coming out with a blu ray drive for pcs for only 200 dollars.
    Also, there are not enough games on the ps3 available to constitute a 400 dollar investment (why i got a 360) so thats my 2cents. but its your money so go for it if you want