Thread: VNC Client?

VNC Client?

Hello guys. I'm trying to setup a VNC server at my home computer that is accessable from my work computer.

The problem is that my work computer's connection has high security. In order to connect, I have to set a "listening" port on my home computer. I have no idea what ports are open here at work that would allow me to connect to my home system.

So.. I have my IP address and I put my system in the DMZ zone on my router. However when I try and connect it still says connection refused. The port I use at home to accept connections is 5900.

If 5900 is closed at my work connection would that explain why I can't connect?

I heard that the SSL port 443 is open here at work. Do I have to setup the VNC server at home to allow connections on that specific port and not 5900?

Thanks,
    Russ

A followup question. Is there a website I could go to that can test all open ports at my work connection?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    All you need to do is open/forward port 5900 on your router..(or 5800 if you're doing http) to your PCs LAN IP address.

DMZ'ing your PC is crazy...you've fully exposed all 65,000 plus ports...100% completely dropping any NAT firewall protection your router gives you. Within seconds your PC is under attack...and within a few more seconds..probably compromised.

If your work has some tight ACLs....blocking VNC traffic...could be, depends on their policies.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    All you need to do is open/forward port 5900 on your router..(or 5800 if you're doing http) to your PCs LAN IP address.

DMZ'ing your PC is crazy...you've fully exposed all 65,000 plus ports...100% completely dropping any NAT firewall protection your router gives you. Within seconds your PC is under attack...and within a few more seconds..probably compromised.

If your work has some tight ACLs....blocking VNC traffic...could be, depends on their policies.
    Thank you for your reply. I've done some further research and I've been told that port 443 is what I can use.

A friend of mine here at work said in order for me to connect to a VNC client at home I would have to setup the VNC server to use port 443 @ home.

What you said made perfect sense to me. However when I try to connect right now using my IP address it says connection refused for some odd reason. Before I left today I verified it was set for port 5900 and the forwarding was setup properly.

Does it make sense to you that I DO in fact have to setup the VNC client at home to use port 443?

Thanks again,
    Russ