Thread: Updates failed to install, found an apparent solution but don't understand execution

Updates failed to install, found an apparent solution but don't understand execution

After repairing windows xp SP2 using a slipstream combination of xp and sp2, the system will fail in updates. I googled a solution which calls for the following solution to use WindowsUpdateAgent30-x32.exe /wuforce from the command line with the /wuforce option.

Can someone explain this solution and how to implement it properly?

Thanks.
    got old

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If you look in your Windows directory..what does your WindowsUpdate.log file have in the end?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

WindowsUpdateAgent30-x32.exe /wuforce*worked for me*

Thanks for that, it worked like a charm. I've been scratching around the net looking for the right advise and your's worked painlessly. This problem was caused by a really smart Trojan horse virus that i caught from surfing the web. I have Eset smart security and it wasn't even able to stop it, i remember seeing a notice thinking that it was stopped but it ran the code that deleted the dll files that ran WU... So anyways thanks for posting that solution it worked perfectly.

Think, another common fix for Windows Update not working is to stop the automatic updates service, then go to C:\Windows and look for the folder SoftwareDistribution and rename it to sdold. Then restart the automatic update service and retry Windows Updates.

Well Think, you download the file WindowsUpdateAgent30-x32.exe or x64.exe like me to c:/ cause its easy to navigate there through dos . And you run cmd prompt, navigate down to c: drive and type the command WindowsUpdateAgent30-x32.exe /wuforce or else it doesn't execute correctly cause it think its partially installed cause of the corruption.