Thread: Is there a legitimate way to make some extra cash?

Is there a legitimate way to make some extra cash?

As many of you might know, I'm a divorced father of three.

I just applied to become a supervisor at the Postal Service and there is a very good chance that I'll get the job. However, that won't take place for at least another 2-3 months.

In the mean time, I took a detail (or temporary change of assignment) position that chopped my pay by about 6k a year. However, it has given me the needed experience to increase my chances of getting the promotion.

I do have some time on my hands and I'm curious if there are legitimate opportunities to make some extra cash; preferably online.

I will never complain about paying child support.

However, I would like to use my computer skills to earn even a little extra cash so that I might get ahead.

thanks for your help!

Tom
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Certified SG Addict
    Movie theaters are always hiring.

Hit yard sales, swap meets, junk stores and buy stuff to resell on ebay.

I will admit it's not as lucrative as it used to be, but if you have knowledge of how much stuff is worth then you can make some $$$ quickly.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Quote Originally Posted by zooner View Post
    As many of you might know, I'm a divorced father of three.

I just applied to become a supervisor at the Postal Service and there is a very good chance that I'll get the job. However, that won't take place for at least another 2-3 months.

In the mean time, I took a detail (or temporary change of assignment) position that chopped my pay by about 6k a year. However, it has given me the needed experience to increase my chances of getting the promotion.

I do have some time on my hands and I'm curious if there are legitimate opportunities to make some extra cash; preferably online.

I will never complain about paying child support.

However, I would like to use my computer skills to earn even a little extra cash so that I might get ahead.

thanks for your help!

Tom

ebay is a good source of extra $ if you find the right stuff to sell,

it's easy with all the online postage and shipping and paypal and can be done from home.

I don't know if you want to do computer work, but I know you are smart enough based on what I've read on here Zooner, so you may want to check out a website called OnForce.

www.onforce.com is the address, and it's pretty simple to get it setup. You have to create your profile, go through a couple steps that lists all the work you are capable of doing, list your certifications if any. I found out about the site through a co-worker of mine, right now at least anyone can register there as a provider and take some Dell DCSE certifications for free, if you want to become Dell certified.

But after I got signed up there, you will then get an email notification if any work orders are routed to you, you then have a very limited timeframe to respond to it, as other OnForce providers have also been routed the same work order, and it's like a first come first serve basis.

But for me it took a few days to get routed a work order, but I got one today that will be a 4 day project that pays about double what I get in a week at my normal job, so it will be a nice bit of extra cash if you can work your schedule around these projects.

Good luck

jenkem isn't against the law yet is it?
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

www.mturk.com

u could make 150-300 a week doing the 1 penny simple click on a color categorization kind of crap for a few hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    www.mturk.com

u could make 150-300 a week doing the 1 penny simple click on a color categorization kind of crap for a few hours a day.
    Very interesting site, thanks for posting.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

With your knowledge you should do what i do, just fix PCs on the side...I do pretty good just fixing computers from the people at work....If i advertised I wouldn't get any sleep. Usually once I get a customer, I eventually get their whole family's business too.

I don't charge any less than $50 labor for my time on the most common issues( virus/spyware/adware cleanings/reload windows)

Ebay could be worth looking into.. there's untapped markets for individuals with creative minds and a lil time on their hands

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Quote Originally Posted by drdoug99 View Post
    I don't know if you want to do computer work, but I know you are smart enough based on what I've read on here Zooner, so you may want to check out a website called OnForce.

www.onforce.com is the address, and it's pretty simple to get it setup. You have to create your profile, go through a couple steps that lists all the work you are capable of doing, list your certifications if any. I found out about the site through a co-worker of mine, right now at least anyone can register there as a provider and take some Dell DCSE certifications for free, if you want to become Dell certified.

But after I got signed up there, you will then get an email notification if any work orders are routed to you, you then have a very limited timeframe to respond to it, as other OnForce providers have also been routed the same work order, and it's like a first come first serve basis.

But for me it took a few days to get routed a work order, but I got one today that will be a 4 day project that pays about double what I get in a week at my normal job, so it will be a nice bit of extra cash if you can work your schedule around these projects.

Good luck
    Wow, nice one man. Never heard of Onforce.

Quote Originally Posted by zooner View Post
    ... I would like to use my computer skills to earn even a little extra cash so that I might get ahead. ...
    About 1-1/2 yrs ago a bud was feeding me work which primarily came from these 2 sources-

guru.com

rent a coder

I have my own accounts there, however, I got disgusted last year and haven't touched them in ages.

I seem to recall guru had 2 types of accounts, free and pay. Pay gave you access to special areas, for example a board to communicate w/ the employers. I believe it was guru. Guru was good at sending email notifications of projects to bid on, but I never was awarded one. Every time it was awarded to a freelancer belonging to the paid membership category.

My bud gets work from there, but he has the paid account type.

rent a coder has lots of work, but very fierce competition and usually short deadlines.

I advise watch out for verbal instructions from employers, try to get everything in email or fax. I got burned that way once by an azzhole.

there's all sorts of standard web contracts forms you can download and modify for yourself.

mturk and onforce look interesting.

I have another suggestion.

throw up some webs on popular topics, put google ads on them and then have your friends click the ads.

that is easy money

consider bandwidth limitations tho in case you get more traffic than you expect. over bandwidth can outweigh the ad income.

Good Luck whatever you do zooner
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

*looks at avatar*

Clown at kids parties

Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B View Post
    *looks at avatar*

Clown at kids parties
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by drdoug99 View Post

www.onforce.com is the address, and it's pretty simple to get it setup.

<snip>
    Good luck
    I made about $5k doing side jobs from onforce early this year. Lots of stuff like setting up wireless routers, etc. for $50-100 a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.