Thread: Advice Needed: Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router with VPN

Advice Needed: Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router with VPN

Hello guys,

This is my first post and let me say that this forum is definitely fantastic. I'm a learn-as-needed guy and was wondering if you can advise me regarding VPN.

I'm looking at purchasing a WRVS4400N (Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router with VPN) from Linksys. The problem is there are conflicting reviews on this product. I already have wireless in my office so I don't need that feature (although the wirelessN would be a bonus). The main function I'm looking for is a plug-n-play VPN.

Maximum simultaneous connections I'm looking at is 5.

Just looking for your thoughts.

Benjamin

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The RV0 series is the most bullet proof VPN router I've used from Linksys...I've setup dozens of them..even one run at home. Built in PPTP VPN server..max clients is 5. The IPSec VPN server that it also has...as well as the other routers...using the QuickVPN client...yuck. Run far..run fast.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the reply.

I guess it's safe to assume that the RV0 technology was implemented on the WRVS4400N.

Just wondering, what's wrong with the QuickVPN client? I have Cisco clients installed on the laptops; will these work with the linksys VPN?

Quote Originally Posted by bpaz_ph View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I guess it's safe to assume that the RV0 technology was implemented on the WRVS4400N.

Just wondering, what's wrong with the QuickVPN client? I have Cisco clients installed on the laptops; will these work with the linksys VPN?
    I'm fairly sure the RV0 series is the only Linksys product that has a built in PPTP VPN server. The other ones are strictly their IPSec QuickVPN client.

I love the RV0 series...have many of them at clients. At one client I have, they have many nurses out in the field..growing numbers..they outgrew the little Cisco PIX501 that I was running. I put an RV016 in place...with under 20 or so QuickVPN clients..it ran well...seemed worth the upgrade...but I needed to increase for more VPN users...got a license upgrade for 50x VPN users...soon as they started having 30-ish users..the router just got flakey with QuickVPN...frequent resetting, frequent calls from the nurses complaining of VPN issues. The RV0 PPTP VPN only supports up to 5 users..period..and that runs rock solid.

Moved to Juniper SSL VPN...yeah expensive (over 3 grand)...but oh so flawless. Browser based clientless VPN.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks again.

I was able to set up remote access on my server (winserv2003). I opened port 1723 (TCP) and 1701 (UDP) on the router and pointed it at the IP of the server. Then setup microsoft user authentication for logging in.

Any comments on vulnerabilities with this setup is welcome.

Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by bpaz_ph View Post
    Thanks again.

I was able to set up remote access on my server (winserv2003). I opened port 1723 (TCP) and 1701 (UDP) on the router and pointed it at the IP of the server. Then setup microsoft user authentication for logging in.

Any comments on vulnerabilities with this setup is welcome.

Benjamin
    Why 1701? Just 1723 is needed for PPTP VPN, and having any firewall allow IP Type 47 GRE to pass through.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks again. I was able to play some songs stored in the server from home.

Now that it's working, are there any additional security issues that I have to address? I'm currently using the builtin windows "connect to" to establish VPN.