Thread: Can't connect to internet, abandoned by ISP

Can't connect to internet, abandoned by ISP

My isp has given up on helping, and i don't know what else to do. They say our network card is bad, but that doesn't really make sense, given this story. Thanks for any help!!!!

1. My girlfriend has had an internet connection from Cable Modem to USB, operating successfully for almost a year on a new laptop.
    2. I noticed the Internet only worked from USB, though, so not sure why the ISP didn't set her up on Ethernet.
    3. I bought her a Netgear Wireless router and ran the installation wizard, but ran into problems halfway through, because the instructions required ethernet internet connection.
    4. I called ISP (Time Warner), and they troubleshot on the phone, and eventually instructed me to get a new modem, thinking maybe the ethernet port was bad. So I acquired a new modem from them.
    5. I hooked it up, and now i can't get an internet connection at all this time, not from USB, nor ethernet (nor wireless).
    7. ISP (TIme Warner) came and tried to troubleshoot, and confirmed the modem was receiving an internet signal. He tried his laptop, and connected successfully to the internet. So he then deduced that our network card is no good. (But I'm NOT convinced that this is the case). And said they couldn't help any more.

But now i can't get a signal through USB with the new modem (and I also installed the driver for the new modem, so the device manager is recognizing the hardware). The laptop network connection says it is connecting to the wireless router, but i can't get on the internet. It just seems like something with configuration is all screwed up, and i should be able to connect AT LEAST through USB, like before, if not all 3.

I don't know what else to do.

What make and model is the modem and Nic and wireless card.

some cable modem are stricly ethernet you gotta make sure the modem you have is activated you have to tell time warner all the info like the mac adess number wich is about series of of numbers and they send a special file to you modem to set it up

Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post
    What make and model is the modem and Nic and wireless card.
    Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

also, there is a 1394 Net Adapter #2, and a MAC Bridge Miniport, i don't know what that stuff is, i suppose it's unrelated.

The modem is an RCA, brand new, RCA Thomson DCM 425
    Last edited by cmoseman; 11-05-07 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cableguy2k7 View Post
    some cable modem are stricly ethernet you gotta make sure the modem you have is activated you have to tell time warner all the info like the mac adess number wich is about series of of numbers and they send a special file to you modem to set it up
    they've done that. they then paid a personal visit, and said everything was working on their end, and it was a problem with my computer

i tend to agree with them on this one , it sounds like you have a bad nic , which by the way may only cost like $20.00 , you can try doing a loop back test to the nic , just ping 127.0.0.1 if you get a response then you probably have a software issue like a firewall blocking your internet , my guess is that the cable tech's have already done this which is why there telling you have a bad nic , and if the can hook there pc up to that cable modem and connect then its not the isp and the cable modem is working fine ...

i hope that helps ...

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGonzo View Post
    i tend to agree with them on this one , it sounds like you have a bad nic , which by the way may only cost like $20.00 , you can try doing a loop back test to the nic , just ping 127.0.0.1 if you get a response then you probably have a software issue like a firewall blocking your internet , my guess is that the cable tech's have already done this which is why there telling you have a bad nic , and if the can hook there pc up to that cable modem and connect then its not the isp and the cable modem is working fine ...

i hope that helps ...
    okay, I'll try that, thanks! so would the NIC cause the USB and wireless to not work as well? (Since i can't get those, or Ethernet, to work)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGonzo View Post

i hope that helps ...
    thanks again for your help. I ping'd as you instructed, here's what i got:

reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time <1ms TTL=128
    Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Does that mean the NIC is okay? I can't get a connection through wireless or USB either. And USB was working fine before I got the new modem. There 'is' a Norton firewall running. I thought i shut it off though, because i was a afraid that was affecting things. maybe i didn't do it right.

Figured it out!

My IT guy at work figured it out in 60 seconds! I had this Network Bridge on there, which i didn't need. he deleted it, and all works!