Thread: How do I change the IRQ of my network card?

How do I change the IRQ of my network card?

Hello,

I need to change the IRQ of my network card (or however it's exactly called, PCI right?), because since using this network card my computer sometimes locks up completely (at least once a day, extremely annoying as you can guess). I read that the problem might be because it's sharing an IRQ with something, and that something causes the lock ups. It seems it's sharing its IRQ with my video card, so I want/need to change it.

Now I have a few questions: "Use automatic settings" is greyed out so I must put my card in a different slot or modify it in the BIOS. Putting it in another slot is no option for me, so how do I change this in the BIOS? And what IRQ's recommended? According to a certain site, all IRQ's have a certain assignment, except for 10 and 11 (of which 10 gets used for my sound card and 11 for my network and video cards). Is 10 the best slot for it or is an empty slot better?

Thanks

try different drivers first.

ииии

ииии

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Is your PC a mid-range P3 or earlier? If it's newer...it's most likely following APIC standard, you should have over 24 IRQs, combined with Windows NTs support for IRQ sharing....worrying about this has become non-existant. Before that...earlier systems had..wow..I forget, been a long time..either 14 or 15 IRQs..in which case sharing was more likely, plus Win9X sometimes had issues with it.

Older motherboards...top PCI slot often shared an IRQ with the AGP slot, and bottom PCI slot often shared an IRQ with whatever device was plugged into the top ISA slot.

Can try moving the NIC to a different slot...there was a standard back then...2nd PCI slot from the top.

Also can try disabling onboard devices that you don't use..such as LPT (IRQ 7), COM ports (IRQs 4 and 3).

To manually specify an ICQ...some motherboards have BIOS which let you specify what IRQ a device in a specific slot gets. Or...you can do it in Device Manager.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have tried different drivers before, and it didn't solve anything.

I don't know how many IRQ's I have, but the highest IRQ used is 15. Like I said, my video and network cards share the same IRQ (and I now also see PCI is used for more things), and all 3 USB controllers share the same IRQ. Further everything is spread out.
    I prefer to not have to put the NIC in another PCI slot, it will take a few weeks before I can do that (I can't open my computer at the moment, no tools), and I want to be sure it's immediately in a correct spot, so my preference goes to changing the IRQ manually.
    However, I can't change the IRQ because the Device Managers greys that option out, and I don't see in my BIOS how to do it, so I need to know what I must be looking for in the BIOS, or an alternative method.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Only 15x IRQs..yeah sounds like an older motherboard, pre-APIC.

On older systems, PCI 2.0 or PCI 2.1 standard, if I can remember correctly, developed between Intel and 3COM, installing the NIC in the 2nd PCI slot down from the top was recommended under that standard. As the top PCI slot shared an IRQ with the video..including the AGP slot if you had one. So...I'd suspect you have yours in the top PCI slot..and if so, it's going to share that IRQ.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!