Thread: Have any of you guys tried Web Hosting at www.1and1.com?

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have any of you guys tried Web Hosting at www.1and1.com?

I wanted to have a web site not hosted on my LAN.. so I picked this one:
    1and1.com
    Went with their most basic plan.. I just want to post my resume on it and maybe some other pages.. come to find out instead of "12" months of web hosting.. they only gave me "6 months".

I'm looking for a low priced web host with domain registration. If you guys could suggest any web hosting sites with low cost plan per year, please let me know, It would be most appreciated.

Thanks

godaddy is cheap, fair & reliable.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Blog Entries
    I'm trying to find the lowest price possible for basic hosting service, with domain registration, for less then $30 dollars a year.

godaddy here

interesting topic.. which leads me to a question of my own.

I've got a .com through register.com and I'd like to switch it to godaddy...its renewed for another year but can I transfer it to godaddy and the renewal still be upheld or do I need to wait till its close to expiring?

Then how do I go about switching?

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post

I've got a .com through register.com and I'd like to switch it to godaddy...its renewed for another year but can I transfer it to godaddy and the renewal still be upheld or do I need to wait till its close to expiring?

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/trans...ng.asp?ci=8992

Read up on it there.

Shinobi, for 30 bucks a year, I doubt you'll find great sevice or reliability. Godaddy has an economy plan that if you sign up for 3 years it would be like 34 bucks a year.

i go through site5.com. they do ok for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post

I moved all my domains off of register.com over to www.domaindirect.com (tucows) long ago. Register.com is way expensive at 35/year.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    GoDaddy is decent for cheap stuff, dorking with your own domains 'n stuff.

For that price...doing basic stuff where you get to manage it with your own control panel isn't bad. For under 100 bucks/year...you can't ask for much more.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Well I got my money back from 1&1.com but I kept the .US domain for $2.99 for the year.. I went with mysite.com for the web hosting space, and have the DNS servers at 1&1.com pointing to it. I think all in all cost me 30 bucks for the year. cheaper then godaddy.com could do for me... so I'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Well I got my money back from 1&1.com but I kept the .US domain for $2.99 for the year.. I went with mysite.com for the web hosting space, and have the DNS servers at 1&1.com pointing to it. I think all in all cost me 30 bucks for the year. cheaper then godaddy.com could do for me... so I'm happy
    So you went with mysite.com's free service?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    So you went with mysite.com's free service?
    Nope.. their $23.59 deal, with the $2.99 domain name at 1&1.com.
    Not $30 bucks like I originally said.. I winged it a bit higher then it is.

Ya YOS, I know what your saying about the 3 year deal.. but I might not want this after a year.. we'll see.
    I just wanted a ad-less / banner-less page to put up a cover sheet for my resume, because I am getting laid off from my job in April. (Getting really sad about this..) maybe some other stuff too.

So I have enough room for a few "banner / ad free" pages.
    I've had both Apache and IIS on my network, running web sites here at home at different times before.. I just don't want to go that route, atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    I wanted to have a web site not hosted on my LAN.. so I picked this one:
    www.1and1.com
    Went with their most basic plan.. I just want to post my resume on it and maybe some other pages.. come to find out instead of "12" months of web hosting.. they only gave me "6 months".

I'm looking for a low priced web host with domain registration. If you guys could suggest any web hosting sites with low cost plan per year, please let me know, It would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi there! 1 use 1&1 indeed and I'm pretty happy with it. They have many different options for different users, so it's a matter of finding your plan. I see sometimes they have not the best reviews, but in my experience they are great but it's important to check their offer and go exactly for what you need, as otherwise you could be dissapointed.

Holy thread revival!

1&1....just another example of successful marketing/advertising. Similar to Symantec or McAfee antivirus...successful marketing doesn't mean it's the best.
    Cheap prices...yeah. Performance and usability, and beating down the nags to keep upgrading...they're similar to GoDaddy.....which I cannot stand.

We actually use SecurePayNet for domain registration and SSL certs....they're GoDaddy's wholesale division...won't find lower prices, and the dashboard is clean (ad free..since it's not aimed at joe end users).
    We use RackSpace for hosting and DNS control panel. Great support, good features, nice clean DNS control panel, and great prices (we have a wholesale bundle there too).
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    1&1....just another example of successful marketing/advertising. Similar to Symantec or McAfee antivirus...successful marketing doesn't mean it's the best.
    Cheap prices...yeah. Performance and usability, and beating down the nags to keep upgrading...they're similar to GoDaddy.....which I cannot stand.
    v
    I'm using 1&1 and I find it quite good, but to be honest I can't compare much. I'll have a look at SecurePayNet and RackSpace for my future needs!
    Thanks for the recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    We actually use SecurePayNet for domain registration and SSL certs....
    In my case, to compare domain name prices I have been using also [link removed by admin] this tool that 1&1 has. I understand they will promote themselves there, but it also allows you to see alternatives you can after check on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Berliner89 View Post
    In my case, to compare domain name prices I have been using also [link removed by admin] this tool that 1&1 has. I understand they will promote themselves there, but it also allows you to see alternatives you can after check on your own.
    With inaccurate costs. They're like "walmart" of web hosts. you get what you pay for.
    Very old thread likely bumped for spam and affiliate advertising? Just to get a link in for traffic?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

For what it's worth, I used them (1and1) maybe 10 or 12 years ago to host HL2: Deathmatch mod map files via http rather than ftp (auto download through HL2 client). Worked as intended, no complaints.

That being said, there were no other services I used. Cannot comment on general hosting services outside that.

*Edit* Oh yeah /PokesWithStick 'Cat
    Last edited by Faust; 02-26-16 at 01:16 AM.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard