Thread: Upgrade to Vista?

Upgrade to Vista?

My school has had me on the Vista waiting list for over 7 months now. They give out free copies to their students. Now I don't know which version it is (probably the cheapest) but I just want to know a few things if I actually decide to "upgrade".

Will I gain, lose, or maintain the same FPS when upgrading to Vista in games? To be more precise, Counterstrike Source.. Will I lose even 5 FPS?

I've been reading about a problem with Vista and X-Fi SoundBlaster sound cards.. has this issue been resolved with the latest drivers? If not, I'm definitely not going to "upgrade". My sound is my hacks, without it I wont even want to play or even use my computer.

What are the benefits to "upgrading"? Will my computer run faster? Is it customizable like XP? Does it have lots of issues? Are there bugs that have been worked on since its release that still haven't been sorted out?

I want people who've actually read about, tried, or have Vista to only respond in this thread. Not the "Vista Haters" who've never even tried it and just hate it for no apparent reason.

I don't want Vista for the eye candy or whatever. I just want to upgrade and utilize what my video card is supposed to do. And that's use DirectX10 on games that support it. *ahem crysis*

Thanks
    <sarcastic>um... yeah</sarcastic>

Wanna get pwned?

Quote Originally Posted by raromoney View Post
    Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

EvilAjax unbanned, reinforces stereotypes with gunplay braggadocio...

here ya....

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAjax View Post
    My school has had me on the Vista waiting list for over 7 months now. They give out free copies to their students. Now I don't know which version it is (probably the cheapest) but I just want to know a few things if I actually decide to "upgrade".

Will I gain, lose, or maintain the same FPS when upgrading to Vista in games? To be more precise, Counterstrike Source.. Will I lose even 5 FPS?

Its possible...

I've been reading about a problem with Vista and X-Fi SoundBlaster sound cards.. has this issue been resolved with the latest drivers? If not, I'm definitely not going to "upgrade". My sound is my hacks, without it I wont even want to play or even use my computer.
    The drivers are better now but you will need the ALchemy wrapper Creative has put out to get the full sound like XP has back

What are the benefits to "upgrading"? Will my computer run faster? Is it customizable like XP? Does it have lots of issues? Are there bugs that have been worked on since its release that still haven't been sorted out?
    It will make your ram work harder as in say wide open even in desktop which I don't care for.. not alot of issues, not alot of bugs that I know of as its pretty tight

I want people who've actually read about, tried, or have Vista to only respond in this thread. Not the "Vista Haters" who've never even tried it and just hate it for no apparent reason.
    I've got Ultimate and ran it for a few months and took it back off for now..I may put it back on in a few months, or I may not..just depends on the outcome of SP1 and more driver enhancements.

I don't want Vista for the eye candy or whatever. I just want to upgrade and utilize what my video card is supposed to do. And that's use DirectX10 on games that support it. *ahem crysis*
    You can force Ultra high settings with XP and DX9 to give 98% of the graphics of DX10 using a patch I think I posted here on the forums somewhere or you can adjust files manually..as they are blocked out.

Thanks

You'll lose 5 FPS, Sound might be buggy, vista takes a whole new approach to it. Its not so much fixing drivers, but hacking it up with like alchemy that sava mentioned.

If you get the cheapest one and it wont have the "cool" vista look, aero.

It will use more of your RAM, dont freak out and be liek OMG i have no free RAM games wont run! They will.

If your entire life is counterstrike, and your eyes are super alien eyes that can see a difference between 131 and 136 FPS then you should probably keep an XP system around just for it

LOL well that about sums it up

XP stays
    <sarcastic>um... yeah</sarcastic>

Wanna get pwned?

Quote Originally Posted by raromoney View Post
    Thanks EvilAjax!
    Yup, I'm baaaackkk!

EvilAjax unbanned, reinforces stereotypes with gunplay braggadocio...

I've been running Home Premium since February and my gaming experience hasn't changed one bit....I still kick ass.

All of my source games run exactly the same since upgrading to vista. If I were about to get a free copy of vista I would take it. Vista is nothing like XP was when it first came out where loads of **** wouldnt work right if at all. I am very pleased.

ииии

ииии