Thread: Sharing a PPPoE DSL connection on three PC's

Sharing a PPPoE DSL connection on three PC's

Hello. I've run into a bit of a problem. I'm having trouble sharing a PPPoE DSL connection between three PC's. (Upgrading to non-pppoe dsl, cable, or fios is not feasible at this time, and I really would like to get this to work).

Here's what I've done. I have one PC, with the DSL modem plugged directly into the first NIC, and the PPPoE connection set-up in Windows XP network properties window. I double-click the connection, enter username/password, and it connects with no problems. I have internet. Now, all I need to do is share this internet connection on two other PC's, and have the PC's networked so that I can install various printers and network folders between the three.

I installed a 2nd NIC in the first PC (the one with the working internet connection), enabled "share this connection" and "allow users to change connection" in the DSL connection in Network Properties. I ran a standard CAT5 cable from the 2nd NIC to a network switch, then ran two more CAT5 cables for the other two PC's. The switch shows 3 active, working link lights on the respective ports, all NIC show blinking lights indicating the connection is active. However, the 2nd NIC shows as "Limited or no connectivity" for some reason. When I run the Network Setup Wizard on the other two PC's, it FINDS the connection on the first PC, and asks if I would like to connect to it, so I select yes, and in Network Properties it shows the connection and its status displays "Connected." Both PC's are getting correct IP's from DHCP, there is no static IP entered, however I get NO internet (the internet browser displays a progress bar for a minute then I get "Page cannot be displayed." These PC's are fresh Windows XP SP2 Pro loads, there's no spyware/viruses or anything.

Other things to keep in mind: On the first computer, the Properties of the NIC that is plugged into the DSL modem has a statically assigned IP of 192.168.0.1, and a Class C Subnet mask assigned. Also, From the other two computers, I cannot ping this IP address (nor it's machine name, nor any web addresses obviously).

What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated....
    Last edited by dunestar; 10-20-07 at 06:17 PM.

Advanced Member
    The easiest way is to just buy a cheap wired router.

that will work. Thanks. If I plug the DSL in the broadband router, then go to the router config page and enter the PPPoE info/login credentials, I won't have to do anything else as far as network configuration on the three PC's right?

Advanced Member
    As long as all of the PCs have a NIC installed and are setup to obtain an IP address by DHCP. The router will dial the connection, and the computers will all connect through the router.