Thread: Extremely slow in Vista

Thumbs down Extremely slow in Vista

Hello, I have a 2 month old Toshiba Laptop with Vista Ultimate on it. Recently (IE. just last night) my internet speed has been extremely slow, and I'm also not sure if the TCP Optimizer works in Vista (since all of what I've read are people under XP SP2) and because of the way Vista handles it's TCP settings.

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 10.15.2007 18:46
    IP address: 74.12.xx.xx

TCP options string: 020405ac01010402
    MSS: 1452
    MTU: 1492
    TCP Window: 17424 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 0
    Unscaled RWIN : 17424
    Reccomended RWINs: 63888, 127776, 255552, 511104
    BDP limit (200ms): 697kbps (87KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 279kbps (35KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 100
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

I did try the TCP Optimizer but after restarting these values re-appeared. I'm on Bell Canada DSL which is supposed to be 5 meg, so I slid the slider to 5000 kbps and hit Optimal and Apply, restarted, default settings are back. I can't load any images on web pages aside from ads, because it's so slow (TCP Analyzer says it's 2x faster than dialup!)

Edit: Afterthought: Sorry if I missed the answer to my problem in some FAQ somewhere, but my internet is just too slow to go browsing any sites right now. It actually took about 15-20 seconds to download the little 600 kb TCP Optimizer.

Edit again: I need to try and remember everything all at once...I don't know if it's significant anyway, but I'm connected wirelessly and in DMZ mode (DMZ is needed for a few certain games I play since forwarding the ports isn't enough)
    Last edited by Kpalsm; 10-15-07 at 06:58 PM.

Vista optimizes your settings on its own..no need to run the optimizer as it also isn't supported for Vista.

I would suggest just making sure your spyware free and perhaps monitoring your connection from your ISP.

Also look at whats running in the background you could shut certain things off.

I know I'm spyware free, I used SUPERAntiSpyware and Ad-Aware, also I have Live OneCare installed which blocks spyware and malware. I have almost nothing running in the background except the ATI Catalyst which is the driver settings for my video card. The 8 year old Dell running XP SP2 which is connected by ethernet has no speed problems. I'm thinking I should just get rid of Vista, not just because of this but also because of other compounding issues that XP isn't plagued with....