Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiohead..In Rainbows, breaking new ground.

Radiohead..In Rainbows, breaking new ground.

Ok so I'm sure most of you have already heard about Radiohead releasing their new album by download only. You even pick the price.....

Font Size: Decrease Increase Print Page: Print Adam Sherwin and Yepoka Yeebo | October 12, 2007
    GIVEN the choice of how much they wanted to pay for Radiohead's new album, about a third of fans decided to keep a hold of their money.

In Rainbows, which became available for downloading yesterday, is the first album to be sold on an "honesty box" principle.

An internet survey of 3000 people who downloaded the album found that most paid an average of $9, although 67 hardcore fans thought the record was worth more than $22 and another 12 claimed to have paid more than $90.

"I'm paying about $80 Canadian ($90) for the set, and another $20 on the download," said one of the buyers surveyed. "Hey, I get to tip my favourite band! Money well spent."

Paul Scaife, publisher of the music industry newsletter Record of the Day, which conducted the poll, said: "Many were paying what they thought the artist got out of a CD sale, and some would have used a facility to pay more after they had heard the MP3s."

He thought many fans would buy a copy of the album when it came out on CD.
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-26040,00.html

Some thoughts. I've read that it's only going to come out on LP and not CD.

I've also read that it's 160 kbps.

What would you pay for a low bit rate encoded album? I haven't read....is there artwork included? And you have to wonder, why not a lossless format?

Repost but thats ok, its a cool Idea.

I would assume 160kbps over lossless to save bandwidth money?

I'm going to download it for free ....but in the future I might throw 10 bucks their way just for giving the record labels the 1 finger salute.

Banned
    This is the one time it will work. I think if other artists try to follow suit that they will end up losing money.

When are they going to post total revenue to date? It is interesting to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    When are they going to post total revenue to date? It is interesting to follow.

I don't know if they actually will but your right, it would be interesting.

I'm still curious as to how 160 bitrate is worth any money? Also, does anyone know if this comes with artwork or anything?

A quick visit to Radiohead.com says the "Discbox" (which can be pre-ordered now) will contain a CD and two vinyl LP's. Price is 40 pounds.

The download that's available now is at a 160kb rate, but you name your price...not bad.

I think it's a pretty damned creative way to cut out the RIA*******s. They're chargng a premium for a sweet hard copy, and letting the market pick the rate for those that don't really appreciate something better.

Being a fan, I'll hold out for higher quality, as their music in particular demands it.

WTG RH!!
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

So you see my point in a way. Your holding out for higher quality.

As to the Discbox. I did read that. So you have to buy two LP's that most people can't use to get a CD?

I can't find the info anywhere. Will a CD be issued by itself? I haven't read anywhere that higher bitrates will be avalible either. Maybe the band has never heard of lossess or maybe they figured what people would pay, wouldn't be worth the bandwidth.

Time will tell is this delivery will work, WhoNut. In fact I'm sure that the next big change will be download. In the meantime, I guess I'm old fashioned and still require something material that I can actually hold... Something that can gain in value and won't be lost in a hard drive crash.

If I have a house fire, my collection is insured. Not so the contents of my HD.

Downhill, no matter what odds are it would only be done in mp3 form, lossless forms arent as popular.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Downhill, no matter what odds are it would only be done in mp3 form, lossless forms arent as popular.
    Yeah I agree that's true. Too much bandwidth and hard drive space. Not any support among portable players either, without a hack.

Still, 160 bitrate? That's terrible.

Yeah... DH, you have to remember that most of who they are targeting with this strategy are people who would have downloaded the MP3 illegally (max of 192kbps MP3) or legitimately purchased from an online music source such as iTunes (128kbps AAC)... Many average music fans don't know the difference between MP3 and lossless formats.

Banned
    I think one of the things that is making this possible is the no money spent on the crappy website. lol

Love RH, hate that site.

Blog Entries
    I would have thought 320kbps for a release. For a portable with earbuds, 160kbps is adequate, but would fall far short when converted to CD to play on a better home system.

Just my 2cents.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

I listened to one of the songs..they still suck just as much as they always have.

So it seems that a lot of fans are pretty upset. Seems the manager let the cat out of the bag that the mp3 is just a promo for the CD.

So much for being a landmark decision.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/157...adiohead.jhtml

Sava......I'm looking pretty hard and can't see any mention of this being a Keith Urban thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I listened to one of the songs..they still suck just as much as they always have.
    Trust me, no one expects you to be into good music

heh...Ok Computer is widely regarding as one of the finest albums ever.

whatever. I still think its a bold move by the band, and a step in the right direction. people that want the artwork and whatnot are going to pay the premium either way, and those that would normally just pirate it will be able to download it for free. Bands make the lionshare of their wealth from touring and merch sales anyway, so all this is really doing is jamming a super-finger up the ass of the recording industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Trust me, no one expects you to be into good music
    I don't call Radiohead producers of good music.. to each his own. I'll stick to Country..a real mans music!

I don't call Radiohead producers of good music.. to each his own. I'll stick to Country..a real mans music!

I define myself by my music.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.