Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to give Tyson one final chance. (Good read)

Time to give Tyson one final chance. (Good read)

Itís always easy to kick a guy when heís down, and Mike Tyson has been down more times than you can count.

His latest indiscretions brought him before a judge in Arizona, where the former baddest man on the planet pleaded guilty to doing something bad.

Don King wasnít in the courtroom with him. Neither were his former managers or any of the people who used to make a living off of him.

Itís a safe bet they wonít be there on Nov. 19, either, when Tyson could be sentenced to four years in prison for driving drunk and possessing cocaine.

The posse always leaves when the moneyís gone, and Tyson long since went through the $300 million or so he earned in the ring. Promoters and managers donít hang around when thereís nothing to promote or manage, and the last bit of money that could be squeezed from the Tyson freak show has been collected.

Once, he was the most celebrated athlete of his time, a raging machine of a fighter whom people couldnít get enough of.

Now heís a recovering addict living quietly in a rehab center, as anonymous as anyone whose face is instantly recognizable to half the population of the free world can be.

ďHeís around people who love and care for him,Ē his attorney, David Chesnoff, said.

Thatís good to hear because Tyson has been searching for those kinds of people all his life. Heís tried to find them in managers and wives, promoters and trainers, as well as almost every dancer in every strip club he set foot in.

Most had something in common ó their hands in Tysonís pockets or their fingers trying to split up the pie. Most have something else in common ó more money in the bank than the man they got rich off of.

No one should feel sorry for Tyson because he blew two fortunes and is now looking at his second long prison term. He made terrible decisions and did things normal people donít do, and like anyone else now has to live with the consequences of his actions.

Still, Iíve really got to wonder what is to gain by making him wear pink underwear and work on a chain gang in a tent prison run by a sheriff who likes nothing better than to get his name in the newspaper and his face on TV.

Actually, I wonder what is to gain by giving Tyson any jail time, whether it is in the state prison or in the unorthodox county jail run by sheriff Joe Arpaio. I donít condone cocaine use or drunk driving, but I also canít condone making an example out of Tyson just so a prosecutor or a sheriff can get another scalp on his belt.

Prosecutor Andrew Thomas cited Tysonís rape conviction in Indianapolis and a 1999 jail term in Maryland in labeling him a repeat offender with a violent past. Thatís his job, but it got laughable when Thomas said he believes Tyson must be put in prison to ďproperly protect the public.Ē

One look at the bizarre tattoo on his face will tell you Tyson is a troubled soul, but heís about as much a danger to the public as he is a threat to win the heavyweight title once again. Heís been clean and sober for eight months now and, if you believe his attorney, heís committed to staying that way.

Before his latest arrest, he hadnít gotten into any real trouble in eight years. And an argument could be made that had he hired Kobe Bryantís attorneys he might have skated on the sexual assault charges that landed him in prison for three years in a ďhe said, she saidĒ case that was strikingly similar to the one faced by Bryant.

When he was arrested Dec. 29, Tyson admitted to police that he used cocaine ďwhenever I can get my hands on it,Ē drank heavily, and was taking the antidepressant Zoloft. Thatís a wacky combination for anyone, much less someone whose compass was already awry by the fact people cheered him on for beating other men into submission.

This is a man who has long portrayed himself as trying to come to grips with his life, and often privately despaired that no one really loved him while everyone wanted to take advantage of him. Whether you believe that or not, itís true that heís lived a life none of us can really imagine.

Before hardly anyone knew who he was, I saw Tyson crying like a baby after failing to make the 1984 Olympic team. I remember watching him walk through the Las Vegas Hilton dressed in overalls and proudly wearing the gaudy green belt after becoming the youngest man to ever win the heavyweight title.

Sure, heís done a ton of bad things, including trying to bite off Evander Holyfieldís ears, but in recent years heís been mostly a paper tiger, burdened by drugs and alcohol and the expectations fans had of a fighter who was no longer there.

The biggest danger he now poses is to himself, and prison wonít help that. A more proper sentence would be probation, with a mandatory prison term should he test positive for drugs and alcohol or break any laws.

I havenít always rooted for Mike Tyson. At times it was hard to see much positive about him.

Thatís changed. Iím rooting for him now.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

One final chance at what? Not spending life in jail?

He's washed up, he will never be anything again. Tyson is an aging wild animal.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    One final chance at what? Not spending life in jail?

He's washed up, he will never be anything again. Tyson is an aging wild animal.
    tyson will never be a boxer again, if he ever was. imo, he was a fighter and one of the best i have ever seen.

everybody wants nothing to do with him, which may be the best thing for him. not 2000000 people ripping him in all different directions for all the wrong reasons. now that he has a chance to settle down and leave the past in the past, the final chance would be to realize those people and those things are better off in the past and to start thinking about the present and future.

like the guy said in the article, "i am rooting for him now" ... well, so am i.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

I'm rooting for no more media coverage.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I'm rooting for no more media coverage.
    How often does that work though?

Quote Originally Posted by Comtrad View Post
    How often does that work though?
    Minus youtube coverage from people, pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    tyson will never be a boxer again, if he ever was. imo, he was a fighter and one of the best i have ever seen.

everybody wants nothing to do with him, which may be the best thing for him. not 2000000 people ripping him in all different directions for all the wrong reasons. now that he has a chance to settle down and leave the past in the past, the final chance would be to realize those people and those things are better off in the past and to start thinking about the present and future.

like the guy said in the article, "i am rooting for him now" ... well, so am i.

I enjoyed watching him box too,

I don't like him for how he has lived his life since,(atleast what we have seen in the media)

but he made his own bed,bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    but he made his own bed,bottom line.
    yes he has, (except for the rape of the beauty contestant), but with help from people who had nothing but bad intentions ... regardless what he has done in the past, i hope he finds peace and a happy future ...
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Boxing is a sport that without proper management can take a poor man off the street turn him into a multi-millionaire and strip him back down to nothing in a very short time. Mike is the ultimate example, but then there is Hector The Macho Camacho recently busted doing burglary. I know other sports have had tragedies (Mike Vick) but boxing (IMO) brings the worst out of people. That said I hate boxing as to me it is the most corrupt sport that has ever existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Boxing is a sport that without proper management can take a poor man off the street turn him into a multi-millionaire and strip him back down to nothing in a very short time. Mike is the ultimate example, but then there is Hector The Macho Camacho recently busted doing burglary. I know other sports have had tragedies (Mike Vick) but boxing (IMO) brings the worst out of people. That said I hate boxing as to me it is the most corrupt sport that has ever existed.
    Its the boxers fault. They know how bad King is and still they go with him.

Most promoters now hold the fighters back too much to try and lengthen their careers.

He was awesome to watch, but he has had his share of chances.

Uninsured for your health
    Boxing todays SUCKS. my dad was watching a few months back and I was able to count the number of punches thrown...
    easily barely about 20 per round....it was THAT slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    Boxing todays SUCKS. my dad was watching a few months back and I was able to count the number of punches thrown...
    easily barely about 20 per round....it was THAT slow
    Boxing is fine, dont watch ****** cards.

This is one of the greatest, "Money does not buy happiness" examples ever. Young, unintelligent boxer gets ruined by those around him. Everyone but himself told him what he wanted. I still find it difficult to lament over his failure as far as money & fame goes. Millions upon millions can only imagine what life might be like to have riches and they watch a thug piss it all away. He's still a man though and needs love like everyone else.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Tyson's downfall began when his wife (givens) had him put on psychiatric drugs. Prior to that he was less docile outside the ring, but he was more in control of himself. Today, drugs or no drugs, he is gooned out as a result of those meds.

Just before the Douglas fight around 1990 he was king of the ring. He had altercations with his wife and she had him ordered onto psyche drugs. When he stepped into the ring for that Buster Douglas fight Tyson was on a chemical cocktail of Lithium, Zoloft, Seroquel, Lamitcal to name a few. The rest is history. Poor guy...
    Last edited by TonyT; 10-06-07 at 07:44 AM.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Tyson's downfall began when his wife (givens) had him put on psychiatric drugs. Prior to that he was less docile outside the ring, but he was more in control of himself. Today, drugs or no drugs, he is gooned out as a result of those meds..

It began with the death of Cus D'Amato. Tyson just went downhill from there.

The drugs you talk about were also at the same time that King took over his management and I'm not sure that he didn't use anti-depressants during his rise to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo66 View Post
    He's still a man though and needs love like everyone else.
    He's a wild animal, not a man.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Tyson's downfall began when his wife (givens) had him put on psychiatric drugs.
    Losing D amato is what made him start going crazy. While I'm sure the drugs hurt his fighting career, he was always off the wall and wild.

Banned
    He was doomed before he started. He was too cocky. Granted most of the time he could back that up, but that just made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Comtrad View Post
    He was doomed before he started. He was too cocky. Granted most of the time he could back that up, but that just made it worse.
    He was exactly what Boxing needed, an insane fighter that threw with truly bad intentions.

Other people can hit as hard as Mike, no one thows a punch like he did though.

The guy was devastating. If he could have had a handle on his life, he very well may have been the greatest heavyweight fighter ever.

He was the youngest heavyweight of all time and the first in since Spinx tossed it away to wear the universal crown. When he lost that, the titles have never been unified in the heavyweight division.

He fought anyone who wanted to fight without fear of loosing any of the titles.

All of his early fights, well most of them didn't last more than a round or two and 14 of them, less than a round.

In a fight with James bone crusher Smith, he hit him so hard across the jaw tha that Smiths mouth piece was knocked out and landed in the lap of a gal sitting about 5 rows back from the ring.

He was aweseome to watch in his glory years.