Thread: Judge rejects Craig's bid to withdraw guilty plea

Post Judge rejects Craig's bid to withdraw guilty plea

Check out the bolded part in particular.

(CNN) -- A Minnesota judge has denied Sen. Larry Craig's request to withdraw his guilty plea to a disorderly conduct charge stemming from his arrest in a sex sting at an airport men's room.

Hennepin County District Judge Charles Porter found Craig had entered the guilty plea "accurately, voluntarily and intelligently" and it was too late to withdraw his admission.

In a sharply worded, 27-page order, the judge found the Idaho Republican had freely given his plea after extensive discussions with prosecutors and after waiving his right to an attorney.

"The defendant, a career politician with a college education, is of at least above-average intelligence," Porter wrote. "He knew what he was saying, reading and signing."

There was no immediate response from the senator.

Craig was arrested June 11 by Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport police, who accused him of making sexual overtures in an airport men's room to an undercover police officer.

Craig pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct in August but sought to withdraw the plea after news of his arrest surfaced the following month.

Craig, who says he is not gay, argued that he entered the plea without legal advice, fearing that the allegations would be made public.

Craig had said he would resign from the Senate if he could not get the guilty plea withdrawn by the end of September -- but then said he would await Porter's ruling before deciding whether to step down.

The judge heard arguments September 26 concerning Craig's arrest.

In court, Craig's attorneys said the guilty plea lacked a judge's signature and that the evidence did not support the conclusion that a crime occurred.

ok

It's a big deal. Craig has said he'll withdraw on this. Let's now see if he'll appeal.

Let the toe tapping commence.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post

Let the toe tapping commence.

<rimshot>

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster View Post
    <rimjob>
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Quit Stalking Me!!

:edit: I HATE MY INABILITY TO POST IN ALL-CAPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.