Thread: Sony BMG's chief anti-piracy lawyer: "Copying" music you own is "stealing"

Certified SG Addict

Post Sony BMG's chief anti-piracy lawyer: "Copying" music you own is "stealing"

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-stealing.html

Pariser has a very broad definition of "stealing." When questioned by Richard Gabriel, lead counsel for the record labels, Pariser suggested that what millions of music fans do is actually theft. The dirty deed? Ripping your own CDs or downloading songs you already own.

Do you have any thoughts of your own on this subject?
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

That lady has lost her mind.

Banned
    lmao...silly sony

Playing that music off a Sony CD in anything but a Sony Brand CD player, or for an audience of any more than one, is a crime!

Blog Entries
    I suppose her premise is that a change in medium format implies a need for another purchase. Owning the LP did not earn any discount if you wanted the CD.

At this point, it is software. It could be construed that the purchase of the digital music is accompanied with a license and that it is not to be used on more than one machine without additional fees.

Mind you, I do not agree with it.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Stop it.

Easy solution: Stop buying SONY/BMG CD's....then nobody will be tempted to copy and be accused of theft.

Problem solved.

NEXT!!!!!

(now think of the ramifications if everyone had the balls to do just that)

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

where do you draw the line for "copying"? casette tape ? or what if i hum a tune? i am copying the artist.

should i be arrested for whistling the andy griffith show. what if buddy hears me whistling the tune and says I know that tune Is it illeagal to share?

SONY/BMG can s*ck my satchel

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    It's a shame that newly formed bands can't do this, but Radiohead are essentially sticking it to the 'man'.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...666973,00.html

Sure, Radiohead is on a sustained run as the most interesting and innovative band in rock, but what makes In Rainbows important — easily the most important release in the recent history of the music business — are its record label and its retail price: there is none, and there is none.

In Rainbows will be released as a digital download available only via the band's web site, Radiohead.com. There's no label or distribution partner to cut into the band's profits — but then there may not be any profits. Drop In Rainbows' 15 songs into the online checkout basket and a question mark pops up where the price would normally be. Click it, and the prompt "It's Up To You" appears. Click again and it refreshes with the words "It's Really Up To You" — and really, it is. It's the first major album whose price is determined by what individual consumers want to pay for it. And it's perfectly acceptable to pay nothing at all.

several record executives admitted that, despite the rumors, they were stunned. "This feels like yet another death knell," emailed an A&R executive at a major European label. "If the best band in the world doesn't want a part of us, I'm not sure what's left for this business."

Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post

(now think of the ramifications if everyone had the balls to do just that)
    I dont think it would take balls its just to difficult to inform all the ignorant people and to act collectively.

If you had a guy like Henry rollings banging on your door at 6am forcing you to "wake up you dumb f*cks or I will beat your ass!!!" < that would be ballZ

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Quote Originally Posted by stevebakh View Post
    It's a shame that newly formed bands can't do this, but Radiohead are essentially sticking it to the 'man'.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...666973,00.html
    I just read about that yesterday i think. Pretty amazing and a bold move indeed. I think Prince is staging a similar release, as are a few other notable bands/musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blisster View Post
    I just read about that yesterday i think. Pretty amazing and a bold move indeed. I think Prince is staging a similar release, as are a few other notable bands/musicians.
    Prince already did that... he released an album through a popular tabloid or newspaper (probably costing around 30 to 50 pence), I forget which though.

According to the article, despite that, he's now setup a sellout tour. Not bad.