Thread: VERY slow throuput on router.

VERY slow throuput on router.

Affecting all PC/MAC's on network, slow LAN and Internet file transfers.

Recently my SMC barricade 2804WBR has started acting up. throughput has become very slow, even computer to computer. I can ping all of the computers and the response times are so low that they are reported as 0ms, which is how it should be on a small home network. All computers are wired, connecting at 100mbit/s. Yet I can only get about 30kbyte/sec download on the internet, and upload is slower than usual but still uploads at about 100 to 150kbyte/sec. Its really odd that my download is slower than upload. File transfers between any of the machines on the network are very slow, I let a transfer run for a 30MB file and it took the network an hour to transfer. The 30MB file should have taken mere seconds to transfer the file.

Comcast cable, tier 2 package 8mbit, 12mbit burst
    SMC Barricade 2804WBR router, a few years old but has always been reliable and I used to see 1200kbyte/sec transfer speeds on the internet, and generally about 65mbit/sec transfer speeds from PC to PC at home.

Computers on the network.
    Dell optiplex 270, 2GB ram (main desktop)
    AMD Tbird 1ghz file server box (Abit kt7a-raid mobo, 1.5gb ram, acts as file server now with 4 500gb drives in Raid 0+1)
    2 Powerbook G4 laptops (1 used for tuning ECM in my TransAm. , other has bad screen but is used as a FTP server)
    Powermac G4 MD tower, dual 1.42ghz, 2gb ram. (used as home theater PC, DVI-D out into my HDTV. Also acts as juke box for stereo)
    Xbox

I suspect that my router is going bad, being that all transfers are slow. I've tried resetting it back to factory defaults, I've also tried upgrading the firmware to the latest release. Nothings made a difference.

I can get decent internet speed if I go from PC to modem, which brings my connection speeds up to where they should be, but that still doesn't solve the problem that all of the cool things I like to do with the machines in the house are now useless to me.

SMC tech support has been useless, which is very unusual because I usually have no problems with them! And the router has worked flawlessly for several years now. I've only recently started to have this problem, and haven't made any changes to my network.

At this point, if I cannot fix my current router I will be buying a new one. Wireless means nothing to me, I'd prefer to spend less and get a gigabit router, but may not need one.

Generally I use the fileserver to store video/audio for the desktop and home theater Mac. So I tend to transfer decently sized files, movies/music/image files)

If you don't have any idea on what may be wrong with my router, I'd still appreciate recomendations for a new router, I would like to get into 1GB but that may not be possible as I'm spending money like mad on my car. My budget is about $100 for a router, and I figure that eliminates 1gb for now.

Any help is appreciated. I'm not against wireless, just have little or no use for it as I've already wired the house with cat-6 cable (got a bout 200ft from work for free. Which was just enough to wire all of the rooms in my apartment.)

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It can indicate a router is beginning to fail.
    Anything else change? Different antivirus, or different software firewall?
    Do you have any switches around to test LAN file transfer speeds?

With Comcasts PowerBoost...you'll appreciate moving to a more current generation router with higher horsepower anyways...the bursts in our area are up to 30 megs...so older routers can be a bottleneck.

DLink makes a wired only giga model, the dgl 4100. Linksys also makes one, the rvs4000. Both are around 125-130 bucks...Newegg shows the dgl4100 right now for 108 bucks. Can also shop fleabay.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    It can indicate a router is beginning to fail.
    Anything else change? Different antivirus, or different software firewall?
    Do you have any switches around to test LAN file transfer speeds?

With Comcasts PowerBoost...you'll appreciate moving to a more current generation router with higher horsepower anyways...the bursts in our area are up to 30 megs...so older routers can be a bottleneck.

DLink makes a wired only giga model, the dgl 4100. Linksys also makes one, the rvs4000. Both are around 125-130 bucks...Newegg shows the dgl4100 right now for 108 bucks. Can also shop fleabay.
    I'll look into those.

On paper a 1gb router provides 10x the throughput, but how much of an advantage is it really? At this point since i'm on a budget do you think it would be worth the added expense over a good 100mbit router?

As far as testing it with a switch I do have a 10/100 4port switch which I did install last night. It did speed up the transfers between computers as it took the router out of the equation but that doesn't fix the internet issues as at times accessing the internet is as slow as a 56k dial up connection.

it varies, sometimes the router gives me decent speeds of around 200kb/sec, but othertimes it crawls at 10kbyte/sec. At this point I know for sure its my router, but I can't think of anything in the configuration that would have changed to cause these slow downs. I guess I just didn't want to face the fact that my router is dying mainly because I didn't want to fork the money out for a better one. though I think I will have to.

Well, found a few things, some 3 month no interest deals on my circuit city account so I'm looking at these routers.

Dlink dir655 - http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ....do?oid=165020
    Dlink 4300 - http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ....do?oid=127875
    Or the 4100 you mentioned. - http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/D-Lin...oductDetail.do

All end up being about the same price.

Recomendations?

Opinions on this router compared to the 4100 or rvs4000?
    Last edited by Thirdgen89GTA; 10-02-07 at 11:30 AM.

Well, after reading quite a few posts here, and elsewhere I decided on the DIR-655.

I saw about 19mbit down during a burst last night so thats a very good speed for me and I'm happy with that. Everything is running okay. On a file transfer between the mac and PC I only saw about 25% network usage max, however the files were being transfered from a 400mbit firewire drive attached to the mac so thats okay I guess.

Which is about 65% of the 400mbit max. It is a slower machine though being just a 667mhz powerbook G4.

Still I'm happy with the router, I ended up paying $136 w/tax at circuit city. I'm happy with it.