Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Thought - What are we turning into?

blacklab. Doctors take an oath. They don't get to play G_d on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    blacklab. Doctors take an oath. They don't get to play G_d on the issue.
    True, but they are human and oath or no oath, lots of them do things for their own purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Don't think it has much to do with Darwinism. It is strictly nature. The strong should live to breed, the weak should die.

Unfortunately we have politicians who keep making laws to protect the weak, and a medical system that saves fare too many people who should be dyeing.

I just can't believe the stupidity of some of the people I run into each day.

No, you are not wrong, all we have to do is allow nature to have a little more control.
    Don't worry, BL... Overpopulated species always have a way of balancing themselves out, even if it is slightly more catastrophic than more commonly occurring natural selection.

Humans, in particular, seem to enjoy killing each other in the greatest numbers possible.

One way or another, nature will balance itself.

I agree with some of BLs points, but I cannot wrap my head around NOT doing everything you can to save a newborn, unless that child will have an absolutely miserable life with say - Tay-Sachs or something of that nature. In cases such as that, as hard as it would be (as a mother) to let my baby go, I would rather let it go peacefully and without pain than go through a short life full of excruciating pain.

I also agree that people who only have a life of pain and eventual death should be allowed to die. Why prolong the inevitable? We are going through a similar situation with my husband's grandmother. She is 89... she was strong as an ox and sharp as a whip until about 2 months ago. Then, something happened and she had a heart attack. Next thing you know, she's diagnosed with alzheimer's and parkinson's. She's miserable. She told us one night when we were visiting her when she was close to death - "let's wrap this thing up" She has a living will so they can't do anything like feeding tubes or bringing her back or anything like that, but they do have to keep her alive by any other means and they're doing that and every day she's degrading a little more. It is so sad. Her hands are curling up, she has severe edema in her legs, congestive heart failure and doesn't know where she is most of the time. Having watched Alzheimer's take my own grandmother over a course of about 10 years, I'm a firm believer in giving people the power to choose death while they're still coherent enough to do it.
    Last edited by duhast; 09-29-07 at 01:32 PM.

Banned
    I don't think that we (humans in general) will exist long enough to see the effects of all the undoing.

We are turning into Reptilians.....fight it*
    “"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."”

Bruce Lee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post
    You have a good point.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post
    just bought this book

http://www.amazon.com/2012-War-Souls.../dp/0765318962

Strieber's epic sequel to 2006's The Grays blends equal parts science fiction thriller, supernatural horror and provocative spiritual speculation. As struggling author Wylie Dale works on his latest novel, which revolves around an upcoming date when the earth crosses both the galactic equator and the solar ecliptic—a time that the Maya predicted would mark the cataclysmic end of this age—he begins to uncover evidence that what he's writing about is actually happening on a parallel earth. If nothing is done, on December 21, 2012, gateways will open into this world and reptilian invaders will not only enslave humanity but feast on their succulent souls as well. While Strieber's exploration into the existence and import of the soul isn't exactly profound, it is wildly entertaining. Fans of apocalyptic page-turners like King's The Stand and Niven and Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer will enjoy this ambitious—and audacious—tale as it invokes everything from rectal probes and Ann Coulter to the destruction of the Great Pyramid of Giza. (Sept.)
    Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    gateways will open into this world and reptilian invaders will not only enslave humanity but feast on their succulent souls
    Perhaps you haven't met my first wife. Reptilian invaders are already here!!!!!!!!
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Perhaps you haven't met my first wife. Reptilian invaders are already here!!!!!!!!
    They're gonna make a movie out of it.......it reminded me of the TV mini-series 'V' so I picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    They're gonna make a movie out of it.......it reminded me of the TV mini-series 'V' so I picked it up.
    We have that and also the short lived follow up TV show. We pull them out about once a year and watch them.

I do think too much time/money is spent/wasted on ****ed up people.

How can we undo evolution? It happens in spite of us not because of us. All those cliches about LL scores and TV are subjective human emotion.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Time to cue up the movie 'Idiocracy.'

the first 10 minutes of that movie were brilliant and oh so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

This whole argument really ties very little into true evolution or evolutionary biology (which has little to do with classic Darwinism anymore). Genetic drift among other factors is causing our species to evolve physically very slowly, and we're not sure where this is going. As to the social and political aspects of your question - if you look at the time frame where speciation, extinction and evolution occurs we're really not affecting our biological evolution beyond simply allowing less fit individuals to survive. This does not mean that they'll be around forever. Fitness isn't just being "smart, strong and beautiful", it's about having a trait that allows you to survive a disaster or stress of some sort, that trait could even be negative. So, what's my point in all of this? It's just as likely that the molly coddled obese stupid people in the world share some obscure gene that will allow them to live through a plague as it is that the strong beautiful smart ones will live. In the end it's probably going to be a mix of every type who survives whatever comes our way, because that's how evolution works. The strongest survive best, but there will always be a few weak ones who scrape by. All our current actions as a species are doing is setting up the catastrophe that will allow fitness to become a factor once more.