Thread: Weird interference problem (WiFi and video card)

Weird interference problem (WiFi and video card)

This is a good one! Sorry for the length. I have an ASUS motherboard in my home-built machine. It has regular PCI, PCI-E 1X and 16X slots. I use a D-Link WDA-2320 PCI wireless card and has been working great in the past few months with WPA2 encryption to my D-Link 625 router. I also have an ATI All-In-Wonder 2006 PCI-E 16X card and has been working great as well.

I decided to change to an NVidia 9600 card because I don't want the TV Tuner built-in the ATI anymore since I am getting a satellite TV tuner instead and I don't want to have two tuners in the same machine.

Now here's the problem. As soon as I installed the NVIDIA card my wireless card stopped working. I mean, the wireless card will find the signal and often times will "connect" and get an IP from my router, but when it comes to using the internet there's no data transfer at all! I tried to ping my router and I only got "Request time out" messages in the CMD window. Sometimes I would get a VERY high reply time, like 900ms or 1100ms (normally, I should get reply times about only 1ms) but most of the times it times out. I took out and reseated both cards and I saw some improvement, but still very bad ping times. Yes, my wireless card antenna was securely connected and my signal strength was Excellent the whole time. My laptop sitting right next to me would have no problems at all trying to ping my router, so the router is not the problem here. I started touching and pushing my Nvidia card in the slot while I looked at the ping times and I noticed how the ping times fluctuated from very bad to good depending on the position of the card I guess. Without a screw securing the Nvidia card, I was able to play a bit with it.

The Nvidia card is two slots away from my wireless card so I figured I would separate them more. I have another PCI-E 16 slot in my motherboard, so I tried that and put the wireless card in the PCI slot furthest away from the Nvidia card. Still didn't make a difference! Bad ping times all the time!

So I decided to put my ATI card back in the computer and removed the Nvidia card. Now the wireless card was happy again and ping times were fine around 1ms. I went back to the Nvidia card just to confirm, and once again my ping times were screwed up in the 1000ms+ range or timing out.

Now, here's the interesting part: I took both my Nvidia card and my wireless card and installed both of them on a different computer (a Gateway machine with a Core2 Duo on an Intel motherboard). I was expecting the same problem to happen, but it didn't! The wireless card was happy, ping times were great and the Nvidia card was working fine! I am getting a replacement of the Nvidia card just to see if it makes a difference.

What the hell could be happening here? Why is the Nvidia card causing problems with my wireless card only in my computer but not in another computer?

Well, here's the happy ending to my story. After exchanging my NVidia card for another, and also updating the BIOS and upgrading all the motherboard, chipset, NVidia and D-Link drivers to their latest versions and realizing none of these solved the problem, I decided to change my wireless card.

I exchanged my D-Link WDA-2320 PCI wireless card with someone who has a Linksys WMP54G PCI card and problem solved! My D-Link card lives happy in his machine, and his Linksys card is happy with the NVidia card in my computer!

Lesson learned: Some combinations of hardware just don't get along!

sorry to bring this from the dead, ive been looking for the same symptoms for a good 2 days. im glad i found this thread.

my situation is pretty much the same except my linksys and nvidia did not go well together.

ive been using onboard video (ati xpress 200 series) for a while with the linksys wmp54gs wireless g with speedbooster and worked great. i would detect any connections and doesnt drop at all. also running vista extreme edition r2 (ultimate) sp1, running with no problem. 2 days ago, i wanted to make vista run more smooth, bought evga nvidia geforce 9500 gt 512mb ddr2 pci-e. install went smooth. then i notice im not getting any connections with my wireless. i would readjust my computer tower and made sure the antenna is screwed in tight. wireless card was 2 slots away from the video card. getting horrible range. it would find some network, then it drops, find some and drop again. it would not hold connection at all. i updated both drivers to its latest. didnt work.

i removed my video card and went back to onboard, i was able to connect perfectly. install the vid card again, did not work.

i went to pick up a linksys N wireless card, have not installed it yet, think it would be compatible? or am i wasting my time. i am running a linksys N router.

I actually registered to answer this question as I had this exact same problem, BUT found a solution. I'm posting it here to help anyone that may have also had the problem.

First, like the second poster, I had a linksys and an ATI card working fine. I decided to upgrade to an NVidia, and bam, no wireless. It would work, sometimes, but when it did, I got around 0.07 Mb/s download (far less than dialup). I tried EVERYTHING to fix it. PCI slot swaps, driver updates, custom drivers, you name it. Nothing worked.

But then I one day managed to get through to Speedtest.net to see that my UPLOAD speeds were still cranking along at 3 Mb/s, while my download speeds were at 0.07 Mb/s. My ping times were also normal. This got me to scratching my head, and the only solution I could come up with was that the NVidia card must be creating some sort of radio frequency that was interfering with a single channel on the WiFi card.

Channel? So I logged into my router, changed the channel of my WiFi network, and bam, full speeds, no problems since.

Bizarre...

I just registered to get to this post!
    i have a similar issue with ati card
    my mobo is ASUS P8Z68V lx and my gfx card is ASUS 7850 DCUII 2GB and wifi card is D-Link DWA 525 .
    as soon as i start any graphic application or i even start a movie my wifi network goes down and many times disconnects and as soon as i close the game or movie it connects back.
    To check it i tried connecting my monitor to onboard video output and my problem is solved (i.e. i can watch videos and youtube) but cant play games.
    any solution?

Trying changing the wifi channel or if you have a usb wifi adapter see how that works.

Password?, not posted under the router, posted under the keyboard of the user?

Like online banking?, use characterrs and numbers?, who Here NOw, stilll have a magic password?

Quote Originally Posted by Javin View Post

Channel? So I logged into my router, changed the channel of my WiFi network, and bam, full speeds, no problems since.

Bizarre...
    I made an account just to say that this solved a very similar problem i was having after installing a new video card (Nvidia GT 630). Wifi was originally on 8 and just changed it to 2 and my connection instantly improved. Prior to that single change everything was loading at 56k rates.