Thread: 360: Red Ring of death

Unhappy 360: Red Ring of death

man. I've had my pre-launch 360 since, well, pre-launch. Never a problem with it, I think it may have frozen up once in the nearly 2 years I've had it.
    Well yesterday I was jsut gonna watch some vids and powered it up and BAM! 3 red rings. I'm getting error-code 0110 out of it, woohoo!
    The box is way out of warranty, but it looks like MS is going to fix it under warranty status anyway, they're sending me a shipping carton.

2 frickin days before Halo 3!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar
    Great friggin timing! They should just ship you a free one for heartache in my opinion!

ON a side note, at least they are taking care of you!
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

The timing is certainly a shame, but perhaps the system was punishing you in a jealous rage for not being able to experience the pleasure of spinning Bioshock, like so many other 360s have.

The updated warranty covers against the RROD for three years. Your machine is still covered under that warranty, even if it was a pre-launch or Zero Hour system.

I actually thin it might have been a zero-hour. the manufacture date is november 2005.

yeah, so long as I get it back in time for half-life and TF2 I'll only be mildly peeved!

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just to be a bit of a grammar nazi I suppose.
    It's 3 Red Lights of Death/Doom
    so it'd be 3RLOD
    3 Red Rings of Death/Doom doesn't make any sense seeing as there's only 1 ring.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

Quote Originally Posted by penguincomrade View Post
    Just to be a bit of a grammar nazi I suppose.
    It's 3 Red Lights of Death/Doom
    so it'd be 3RLOD
    3 Red Rings of Death/Doom doesn't make any sense seeing as there's only 1 ring.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Blog Entries
    Also if your Xbox 360 is out of the warranty and figure there's nothing to lose anyways just open up the Xbox 360 and do the X-Clamp Fix as seen here:

http://www.x-clamp-fix.com/catalog/p...x-DIY-Kit.html

Of course you'll need to buy all the stuff to do the X-Clamp fix but I think it's worth a shot most definitely considering that if this fixes the issue you don't have to spend another $279.99 (USD) + Tax.

Cores are no longer in production, it's only the Arcade version and up. Arcade version being the cheapest of the 4 that are available. Arcade version is essentially just a mixture of the pro and core, comes with a wireless control, hdmi port but it doesn't come with a hard drive but instead comes with a 256MB memory unit and 5 Xbox Live arcade games.
    Last edited by PsykoPenguin; 11-24-07 at 11:15 AM.

since it was a RROD error it was covered under MS's repair or replace policy. I got a new unit a few weeks ago, free of any shipping charges (just the inconveniecne of not having my console for ~4 weeks).
    honestly with the holidays upon us and the fact that I jsut built a new gaming rig and my addiction to TF2, I haven't had much time for console gaming and didn't miss the 360 too much.

Quote Originally Posted by penguincomrade View Post
    Also if your Xbox 360 is out of the warranty and figure there's nothing to lose anyways just open up the Xbox 360 and do the X-Clamp Fix as seen here:
    Every single 360 is still covered by at least one more year against the RRoD under Microsoft's new warranty policy for the system.

You have a full three years from the date of purchase, so it's unlikely someone would or should have to go through those steps at this point unless it's a system they "can't" send back to Microsoft...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Every single 360 is still covered by at least one more year against the RRoD under Microsoft's new warranty policy for the system.

You have a full three years from the date of purchase, so it's unlikely someone would or should have to go through those steps at this point unless it's a system they "can't" send back to Microsoft...
    Well I'm not sure if this is still the issue, basically your warranty is a 1 time use, after it's used you have to renew you warranty, that's what happened to me and I haven't renewed it since I used it up not sure if mines still gets that extra year since it's been used up already, if it does I know who to send my console to whenever I get the 3RLoD.

RRoD only occurs when the Xbox 360 is not detecting the A/V cable or you don't have the A/V cable connected to the Xbox 360. Hardware failure, majority of the times, overheating is 3RLoD just thought I'd clear it up there.

you can argue semantics all you want, I'm just using the nomenclature that has been embraced by the entire internet and gaming community.
    AFAIK microsoft will exchange any xbox 360, regardless if its your 1st, or 3rd of 5th as long as it is within 3 years of the stamped manufactured date on the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster View Post
    you can argue semantics all you want, I'm just using the nomenclature that has been embraced by the entire internet and gaming community.
    AFAIK microsoft will exchange any xbox 360, regardless if its your 1st, or 3rd of 5th as long as it is within 3 years of the stamped manufactured date on the console.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blisster View Post
    To the First part: You are correct on that one but as am I. Both RRoD and 3LoD are both used in this case. There is nothing more to say about this, not trying to start a flame here.

To the Second part: I got a letter in the mail from M$ saying that my warranty ran out on my Xbox 360 this was about a couple weeks after I had sent in my Xbox 360 for repairs and this was BEFORE the extension (I had a launch console) and by before I mean years before the extension so I guess my statement is obsolete seeing as I'm just thinking about the old way of things. I'm sure things have changed since then.