Thread: Zoom X6 5590 and Cable Modem WAN connection

Question Zoom X6 5590 and Cable Modem WAN connection

I bought a Zoom X6 5590 because I had an DSL ISP provider and needed a router/wireless/firewall. I installed it and everything run smoothly for a few months. This means I had ADSL access to the Internet which was then shared to several other computers, and of course those computers could see each other either by Ethernet or Wireless. All good!

A while ago I switched from my ADSL ISP provider to another ISP that is NOT ADSL, it's cable modem access.

Since this modem doesn't have the usual Wan connection for connecting an RJ45 cable from the modem, I connected the RJ45 cable coming from the Cable Modem to one of the RJ45 ports in the router in hope that the router would still redirect the internet connection through to my computers.

Unfortunatelly I've been dealing with this for days and still am not capable of doing so... What happens is that the first computer that I switch on will get the public IP from the internet (in my case 213.xxx.xxx.xxx) instead of the usual 10.0.0.xxx The following connected computers will get a 10.0.0.xxx address, but will not have internet access and will not see the 213.xxx.xxx.xxx computer.

I tried a bunch of configurations making it as Half-bridged, Bridged IP + NAT etc with automatic DHCP connection and forced IP assignment and still nothing: If I have the Cable Modem on, the first connected computer will get the Modem IP address and be isolated from the rest of the network. It just behaves as if there is no router in the middle.

So my question is: Is it possible to share internet connection in my network with this Zoom X6 beeing the source from a Cable Modem or does this Router only work with DSL protocols? Because this kind of settings, as explained here http://www.spiritone.com/support/dsl_zoomx6_route.html and other places, do not work in here (actually I have no idea what to put over at VPI/VCI, as in cable modems everything is automatic)

Thank you.
    FM

So, does this mean:

a) noone here uses Zoom X6 5590
    b) noone tryed to use Zoom X6 5590 with a Cblae Modem like I tried
    c) it's a stupid question
    d) all of the above

Thanx,
    FM

Wow!

No one answered! Well, in case anyone cares, the service support from zoom stated, and I quote:

"I am sorry to inform, but you can not bridge any modem onto that router. The reason why is as you stated it does not have a WAN port, and it already is a modem/router."

So... bummer!~

Going to get myself a Netgear, which is faster, more reliable and costs less... and looks infinitelly better thanks to it's design!

Bye all! Good luck with your routers!