Thread: Target Moon: Japan's Kaguya Probe Set for Lunar Mission!!!!!

Target Moon: Japan's Kaguya Probe Set for Lunar Mission!!!!!

Japan is set for the moon!

http://www.space.com/businesstechnol...aguyamoon.html

Japan's massive Kaguya lunar orbiter stands poised to launch spaceward this week on a mission that, researchers hope, will unlock the secrets of the moon.

Equipped with a veritable arsenal of science instruments and two baby satellites, the three-ton moon probe is set to liftoff from Japan early Friday (Local Time) on a one-year mission to Earth's nearest neighbor.

"The Japanese people are very interested in this mission," said Shinichi Sobue, Kaguya's science coordinator and public outreach for the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA). "Kaguya, or SELENE, is our first mission for really observing the moon."
    The 6,000-pound (2,271-kilogram) Kaguya spacecraft is a nearly seven-foot (2.1-meter) wide box that stands almost 16 feet (4.8 meters) tall. The probe's X-ray and Gamma-ray spectrometers will track the distribution of elements on the lunar surface such as hydrogen, which researchers hope will help aid in the search for water ice on the moon, Sobue said.

Other instrument suites will study mineral distribution on the moon's surface; use cameras, radar and lasers to catalogue lunar terrain and subsurface structure; and probe the moon's ionosphere and magnetic field. A high-definition camera is also launching aboard Kaguya, but is destined for a more aesthetic purpose.

"The Japanese people would like to see the very beautiful, high-definition movies of the Earth rising" over the moon, Sobue said.
    Atop the orbiter sit the relay (RSAT) and VRAD microsatellites, two solar-powered probes about three feet (one meter) in diameter. Kaguya will jettison the 110-pound (50-kilogram) probes as it enters lunar orbit. The two satellites are designed to then work together with their mothership to generate a complete global map of the moon's gravitational field. VRAD will also probe the moon's thin ionosphere, JAXA officials said.

"It's the first [mission] ever to study the gravity field of the far side of the moon," Sobue said of Kaguya's mission. "The data accumulated by SELENE should serve as a basis for mankind's future utilization of the moon."
    JAXA mission scientists already plan to share Kaguya's gravity field measurements with NASA researchers as the U.S. space agency prepares to launch its own mission - the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) - in 2008 and return astronauts to the moon by 2020, Sobue said.

Japan, too, hopes to work with international partners to develop a lunar base as part the agency's strategic vision 2025, he added.

"Thus, Kaguya will also contribute to the manned exploration of the moon," Takizawa stated.
    Seems Japan is on a mission for a moon base as well.

Competition? I sure hope so.
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Pretty cool! You forgot to mention who the pilot will be.

>>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

So, I heard this went as planned, no problems so far, the launch was good.

Banned
    Hey maybe this time someone will actually land on the moon!

Quote Originally Posted by Comtrad View Post
    Hey maybe this time someone will actually land on the moon!
    don't hold your breath, JAXA doesn't have the spacecraft, and even NASA doesn't the craft for the job yet, and with budget cuts, who knows when, it'll be at least 2020 before we step foot on the moon again

i'll bump a NASA budget thread