Thread: VPN question

VPN question

My company uses a VPN to use certain tools for our clients and I was wondering, instead of using the client on all the computers could I set up a server that was VPN'd in all the time in order to do our business. Kind of like a proxy, but on a lan setting. I have a few ideas on how it might work, somethings I am going to try out tomorrow on my 2000 server box. I know there is a way to make it work, I am surprised that I can't find more info on it. I may be using the wrong terminology. I think that I am correct in assuming that using the VPN client on a machine basically opens a new connection, so why couldnt u bridge them from ur 2 nic's, and see if it works? I am just curious. I have not messed with VPN much so this is new for me. I know how to do it the other way, having ppl vpn in to the server form the out side, but this is like the opposite. Thx for any comments, I will be checking back if any of you have any suggestions, I would be more than happy to hear them. Oh and the VPN clients wont run on Vista, and linux is prolly a no go also, I would try but I dont have much free time during the day. I would rather use something that will have a chance of success with out trying to make linux emulate a vpn client from our contractors.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The VPN establishes a secure connection from the clients...to the host network. Basically you can sit at home...connect via VPN to the office..and your home PC is now securely connected to the office network.

The VPN provides this secured connection through the firewall.

If you setup some server to try to skip the VPN...the server would have to be multi-homed..and outside of the firewall with one of the NICs. You'd lose the security that the VPN allows you to have.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I am not trying to skip it, just trying to to set it up so that certain connections pick up as needing to go though the VPN already established on the server. When internet traffic hits the proxy I want it set up to tell it to go though the VPN connection, or the regular connection.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Internet traffic...depending on what you're using for VPN..you can allow or deny clients to have internet traffic go through the VPN tunnel, or out of their local gateway. With PPTP VPN, it's "use remote gateway" in the VPN adapter setup, TCP properties.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I got the server all set up like it needs to be, unfortunately our company decided to change the VPN client we are using. Not a huge deal because I still have until the mid November to test this stuff out. I am trying to connect 2 offices together but still keep the ability to use certain programs that wont work while VPN'd in to the other office. Instead of having everyone use an individual VPN client running on their computer, I am trying to set up a proxy/vpn server to point only the needed vpn data to a static vpn line, and keeping all other traffic pointed to use the internal office network only...ie keeping outlook connected to the internal network since we use google mail for email and it doesnt like to download to outlook while vpn is active which makes it a pain to connect and disconnect. Another reason is users...we only have so many allowed user connections to the other office, and consolidating those to one server would be nice. However setting this up on the server has ran in to more problems since the VPN doesnt like a change to the routing tables while its connected. I am still looking for a solutions, and now that they are changing programs it may not be possible, but then again it might make it easier. I think its a good idea, its just connecting 2 LAN's over the internet, WAN. VPN allows individual users to do this, but not servers to be set up to do this and keep the 2 connected for any amount of time.

Advanced Member
    This is between two of your offices? Why not a site to site VPN?

Quote Originally Posted by ErikD View Post
    This is between two of your offices? Why not a site to site VPN?
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking, and i think that's kinda what he's trying to express.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.