Thread: What To Upgrade?

Hatchling

Post What To Upgrade?

A few weeks ago I posed a question as to what graphics card I should upgrade to. I decided on a Geforce2 GTS, but have decided to wait on that as I think about a much more useful upgrade. My current system is:

PIII 550 SLOT1 CPU
    Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 Ultra 32MB
    13.6 Gig HD, ULTRA-DMA/66
    Tekram P6Pro-A+ mobo
    256 MD PC133 SDRAM
    Creative SB Live Value PCI
    10X DVD/32X
    8X CD-RW

I was thinking about going for a new CPU/mobo, as my mobo only supports PIII CPU's up to 733. But I figure it would be better to get an AMD chip, and a fast one at that, to help me play the latest games.

Here's what I found at the Overclockerz Store:
    Abit KT7 - Duron 1000m( Overclocked )
    with OCZ Monster 2 cooler $ 219.99
    300 Watt PS to OCZ Coolcase $ 59.99
    OCZ - Coolcase- Midtower $79.99

I would then just transfer all my other components and keep my old video card. I figure a new PIII 733 and a Geforce2 GTS would run me around $380 while the new mobo, CPU, PS and case would cost around $360.

Thoughts?

freckmoto

Thats the mobo/cpu combo I bought See specks below Fast as HELL!!!

------------------
    Abit KT7 RAID
    Duron 1000mhz
    OCZ Monster 2 Heatsink
    256mb PC133 Infineon 222
    10 gig
    TNT2
    Aureal Vortex 2

Hatchling

Originally posted by freckmoto:
    Thats the mobo/cpu combo I bought See specks below Fast as HELL!!!

According to the reviews at Motherboards.com, the KT7 mobo is glitchy.
    http://www.motherboards.com/catalog/...20bc3ba6a63ff7

Also says the board is picky when it comes to memory DIMMs. Have you had any problems so far?

How loud is the OCZ cooler anyway?

I...... AM.......... CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya would be better to upgrade your CPU/Mobo instead cuz your CPU is just too slow unless you're gonna overclock it. Is your CPU a coppermine? If so you can probably reach 733Mhz pretty easily.

I've got my P3 550E (coppermine) up to 826Mhz stable check it out here: http://www.speedguide.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001255.html

Hatchling

Originally posted by TigerUpperCut:
    Ya would be better to upgrade your CPU/Mobo instead cuz your CPU is just too slow unless you're gonna overclock it. Is your CPU a coppermine? If so you can probably reach 733Mhz pretty easily.
    It is a Coppermine, although I tend to be a little leery of overclocking. Did a little checking and found a Biostar M7VKB mobo with a T-Bird 1GHZ cpu for $291. With shipping this comes out to $334.

I'll need to get a case with a 300 watt PS, but that can be had locally, since the shipping will be more with it.

As for transfering the rest of my components, can I just put 'em in the new case and expect to go through the usual detect process? Or will there be headaches to reconfigure my system with the new mobo/CPU?

I...... AM.......... CANADIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not try overclocking 1st?

freckmoto

The KT7 is the best o/cing mobo around!!! If you get decent memory it will work fine. I am sure what you already have will be sufficient. The monster 2 is pretty loud but not too bad. And if you dont like the noise, you could get the ocz dualie instead, which might make you run a couple degrees hotter, but not as much sound

Freckmoto

------------------
    Abit KT7 RAID
    Duron 1000mhz
    OCZ Monster 2 Heatsink
    256mb PC133 Infineon 222
    10 gig
    TNT2
    Aureal Vortex 2