Thread: Future Weapons: V-22 Osprey

Blog Entries

Future Weapons: V-22 Osprey

The future is now...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WeNdq_ObKuk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yaP5bfbwQe0

A Marine squadron gets it's combat wings within the next couple of weeks in Iraq...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Good to see that finally come into fruition...it's been under devel for...wow...a long loooong time.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

It was a bummer they had to make it to only land like a helicopter. It would have been cool to have the option to land/takeoff as an airplane or helicopter.

Ah well. Sweet bird either way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Good to see that finally come into fruition...it's been under devel for...wow...a long loooong time.

I remember when the predecessor, the XV-15, was flying around the DFW area a long, long time ago, when I was still living with my dad back in the 70s. I never thought I'd see the day also when I'd be working for Bell and building the Osprey to boot.
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    It was a bummer they had to make it to only land like a helicopter. It would have been cool to have the option to land/takeoff as an airplane or helicopter.

Ah well. Sweet bird either way.
    I was noticing the props look too big to land or take off like a plane. It would suck to be out there turn them to plane position and not be able to get them back to helo position that would be a scary as hell landing.

Blog Entries
    It's been an experience working on building these aircraft so far...hopefully someday I'll be able to get a ride on one...
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Aileron roll.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    Aileron roll.

heh, true enough...maybe I should find the video of the 707 prototype doing a 1g barrel roll...
    ------

Blog Entries
    heh, true enough...maybe I should find the video of the 707 prototype doing a 1g barrel roll...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WJ546BEps-M
    ------

I don't know. I still gots reservations about this one.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blebs99 View Post
    I don't know. I still gots reservations about this one.
    Understandable, considering past history. But there have already been about 85 of these built being flown by the Marines and the Air Force for the last several years. This'll be the first true combat experience for the Osprey. It's speed, range, and versatility give it a huge leg up on the H-46s that they are meant to replace.

Personally, considering the huge stake that I have invested in them, hope they do extremely well...
    ------

Indy, are you on lunch break again?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Indy, are you on lunch break again?
    ------

Blog Entries
    ------

they been testing them hear at edwards we call the death traps because they crash alot