Thread: Remote desktop problem

Remote desktop problem

I have used RDC for a long time but I must have changed something and now can't figure it out.
    I have a 2 computer home LAN - desktop (XP Pro) and notebook (XP home)
    Desktop has a static IP and port 3389 is forwarded to it.

From Notebook:
    When I "ping 192.168.1.10", the Desktop's static IP, I get a valid response.
    When I "ping Desktop" i get a reply from desktop.phub.net.cable.rogers.com and an external IP 208.xx.xx.xxx
    Rogers is my ISP.
    From Desktop:
    When I "ping Notebook" I get a response from the notebook's dynamic IP.

Trying to connect RDC from Notebook, it will connect through the LAN when I use the static IP, but NOT when I use "Desktop"
    Naturally, I can't access the Desktop over the Internet when I input the LAN's WAN address.
    Both computers are wired to a Linksys router running DD-WRT
    I am stumped as to why I get the Rogers server as a reply to a local ping.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Depends on how the DNS is handled, and what settings you have for enabling netbios over TCP/IP.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the quick response. I made a change and now can "ping desktop" from notebook and get a vald LAN IP response. So far so good.

However, when trying to connect by Remote Desktop Connection from the Notebook to the Desktop, I insert the WAN IP address and it can't connect.

I have done this dozens of times in past and helped family/friends setting up theirs successfully. I now feel kind of dumb with my own problem
    When I enter "Desktop" as the Remote desktop address on Notebook, it connects instantly but fails when I use the WAN IP address. ???

From the WAN attempt..have you opened/forwarded port 3389 to the LAN IP of the workstation?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    From the WAN attempt..have you opened/forwarded port 3389 to the LAN IP of the workstation?
    Yes, I have and have reviewed both firewalls, Windows and that of the router. RDC is listed in windows firewall exemptions. No other firewall running.
    Deslkop has static IP outside the DHCP range of the router.

Only other guess at the moment..that your router doesn't support what's called "loopback". That is..you can't start inside, the router, go out to the wild side, and come back in.

You can test it from another remote location?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Only other guess at the moment..that your router doesn't support what's called "loopback". That is..you can't start inside, the router, go out to the wild side, and come back in.

You can test it from another remote location?
    I have now taken my notebook to a remote location and tested it again. No luck! I am amazed as it has worked fine for me for a few years.
    My router is a Linksys WRT54G v3 with DD-WRT.
    This isn't supposed to be rocket science as there are only a few things that need to be set - I thought I had all bases covered.
    [LIST][*]Set static IP on host machine[*]Activate Remote Desktop Connection[*]Ensure it's excepted in the firewall(s)[*]Forward port 3389 to the host IP[*]Use a dns forwarding service in lieu of the WAN IP (I tried both by IP and by DNS alias)

????? I am using logmein now but it's not as smooth as Remote Desktop Connection.

If anyone has any further suggestions, I would be appreciative.
    Thanks for the help so far.

Some further information:

Under network connections, I have the following icons:
    1394 connection showing connected and firewalled
    Local area connection showing connected and firewalled
    AND
    Internet connection showing disabled and firewalled.

I have tried to enable it, but get the message, failed and then the icon disappears. On a reboot, it will come back up.

I assume this may have some bearing on my inability to connect by Remote Desktop

The computer connects to the Internet OK, though.
    I am not familiar with this item and can't seem to be able to enable it, assuming it's necessary. On my Notebook, the icon appears saying connected and internet connection.

Advanced Member
    You might be getting blocked by your ISP. They can setup a home internet segment of the cable network and block all incoming connections on specified ports.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikD View Post
    You might be getting blocked by your ISP. They can setup a home internet segment of the cable network and block all incoming connections on specified ports.
    I doubt that. It worked before and I can access others (friends and family) nearby with the same ISP. I will keep plugging away. Probably some dumb little thing I did that needs undoing.
    thanks anyway.

I solved my dilemma. I have a Linksys router (192.168.1.1) that used to be connected directly to my cable modem.
    I also have a Linksys phone adapter (192.168.7.1) for my VoIP. The phone adapter used to be plugged into the router, but on the advice of the VoIP company, I plugged the VoIP adapter into the modem and then connected the router into the phone adapter. I think the VoIP adapter is also a router which complicates my setup.
    I removed the phone adapter from the scene and was able to connect by RDC immediately.
    Now that I know what the problem is, I shall try to figure out how I can make it all work that way.
    Phew, dumb little thing that I had forgotten about as all the hardware is buried under my desk.

Advanced Member
    If the VoIP gateway is a router as well (very likely) then just remove your other router and use the VoIP device alone.