Hi, This post could be quite long as I have tried all kinds of things to no avail. Hopefully someone can help.

I use a USR9108 Router to connect to the internet (ADSL via Orcon in New Zealand). The router currently services two connections. The first and main connection to the router is my PC via ethernet through the PC's on board NIC on my Gigabyte 965P-DS3 mobo (Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller). The second connection is a my wife's laptop which is connected via wireless.

After setting up the wifes laptop I wanted to see the performance hit through using wireless. So I used a local speed test site to check out the speed (http://www.consumerspeedtest.org.nz). I had run this a few times on my PC and knew the speed I was getting on the PC was a transfer rate of 260.6 KB/sec .

I was very surprised when I was getting a result which was almost double the speed I was getting on my PC (transfer rate of 434.2 KB/sec). I checked it on a number of other speed test sites both in New Zealand and around the world and the same pattern happened on all of the sites.

Initally I thought it was the router's ethernet connection which was causing the limiting of the connection to my PC. So I plugged the laptop into the router directly via ethernet and re-ran the speed tests. The laptop was still amazingly fast - much faster than the PC. This narrowed it down to the PC and not the router.

I then thought it must be the NIC on the mobo so I purchased a new gigabit NIC and installed it (Netgear GA311). After installing the new NIC, the speed tests for the PC using the new NIC were exactly the same than the existing onboard one - still half the speed that the laptop wireless connection is getting.

I thought Windows might be stuffed up and corrupted some settings so I reloaded a 'clean' image of my system partition and tried again - nope still half speed. At my wits end, I ended up re-installing windows from scratch to see if my image was also corrupted - nope still half speed.

After a recommendation I used TCP optimiser, but the speed on the PC is still about half of the wireless speed on my wifes laptop.

Some other details which might help - im using Win XP Pro (SP2), no software is interfering (i.e. no Norton or ZoneAlarm). I checked and the router and PC is connecting at 100.0 Mbps full duplex connection. I played with the speed and duplex settings, moving it away from auto-sensing and over to a forced 100.0 Mbps full duplex connection. Unfortunatly every setting I tried was the same slow speed.

So this is where im at - a bit frustrated but none the wiser. Hopefully someone will have an idea of what could be the problem, if anyone wants any more details reply here and I will get you the details ASAP.