Thread: PC+Xbox 360 on Linksys 5 port Hub

PC+Xbox 360 on Linksys 5 port Hub

Okay, I'm having problems with setting up my xbox 360 to be able to be connected to my switch and be able to access the internet at the same time. I am using a cable modem connected to the 5 port hub. I ran ethernet cables out to my PC and xbox 360from the hub. The xbox 360 cannot automatically detect the settings (IP, DNS). The only way I can get it to work is to assign my xbox 360 manually with the IP and DNS and subnet from my PC and then directly connect my modem to my xbox.
    My problem is that I cannot find how to set up a DHCP so that my hub automatically assings my XBOX 360 as IP and so on. It did not come with a CD. Anyone know how to access this and reconfigure it?

If you use switch only, only 1 network device can access Internet at one time. The switch will have no DHCP feature as well.

You need a router that normally equipped with NATing and DHCP feature, then it should work after configuring it. Connect the cable modem connection to the router, then connect the computer and Xbox to the router as well.

Hope helps..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Unless you have multiple IP accounts from your cable ISP...you'll need to use a router instead of a hub or a switch.

Routers will share a single IP connection from your ISP, providing DHCP service for the internal protected network.

Switches and their older counterparts...hubs...generally do not provide DHCP, and lack hardware firewall protection for your network.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Alright. I just tried to unplug the PC from the network and used just the 360 on the hub. It still gives me the DNS error. I've also tried it directly from the cable modem. I've tried automatic and manual settings and still get the same error. My best guess is to check with my ISP because they might be locking it out some way or another.

Anyone that has ever experienced this? LMK if you have and found a solution....

Thanks for the replies guys...

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Cable modems "memorize" the MAC address of the first device connected to them. If you remove that device..and plug in a new device to the cable modem, the modem will not recognize it..unless you turn off the modem for a few minutes..which dumps the memory. It will now be empty..and ready to learn/memorize the MAC of the device of the next device. Plug in new device...power up modem..give it a few minutes to synch up..then power cycle the new device again..should be good to go. If you need your PC back..gotta repeat the sequence again.

Getting a router will make things much easier though.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

no worries about that crap now. I just picked up a router so we'll see how that goes after I finish my lunch.

Success!!!

Thanks for the help guys. The router works and I don't get the DNS error anymore

Again thanks again for anyone who contributed it is greatly appreciated!