Thread: newb here with some problems, mind giving me a hand?

newb here with some problems, mind giving me a hand?

Hi, i'm new here and i've sort of got some problems with the router i am trying to setup.
    before i bought my wireless router, i am currently running on a setup consisting of modem to router [non-wireless] then to three computers including mine. so, recently i've bought a wireless router (Level1 WBR-3408) which i intend to enable wireless access in my room for some other things which i can use wireless to access the internet. thus, i intended to make a setup like this:
    internet -> modem -> router -> wireless router and two other computers -> my computer
    to be frank, i am pretty much stuck on setting up the connection between my router and my wireless router. the other two computers will not be affected as the wireless router is only used by me.
    but not being able to set up the connection between my two routers was not my biggest problem, while i was setting it up yesterday, it was all sort of going fine till while i was sort of going through the web configuration page, my internet explorer suddenly said "unable to display page". then from that point onwards, i was unable to access the web configuration page no matter how. I'm just hoping someone could help me out here.

i also noticed when i used command prompt to check my ip settings, when using my computer to connect to the wireless router, i found out my subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 and the ip address is sort of like random and there would be no access to the internet. hope someone could help!

SG Enthusiast
    ip address is sort of like random - perhaps starting with 169.? You might want to force a reset of the wireless router to factory defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip Patterson View Post
    ip address is sort of like random - perhaps starting with 169.? You might want to force a reset of the wireless router to factory defaults.
    yah...that's right....to be frank, i did consider force reset to default, but i'm guessing i either didn't do it correctly or i just didn't know from the first day i got the router. i did reset it..probably not force reset. anyone else with the wireless router i'm using and know how to do this? the pdf manual on the cd is sort of a pain in the a** to read.

Quote Originally Posted by loserpro2 View Post

thus, i intended to make a setup like this:
    internet -> modem -> router -> wireless router and two other computers -> my computer
    Connecting one router to another will result in a double NAT, forming a LAN within another LAN. This will probably cause problems for applications that require port forwarding.

Better to convert your wireless router into a Access Point.

This can be done by connecting your wireless router to the wired router with a Crossover cable (not ethernet cable) and follow the guide of this link:

http://www.home-network-help.com/wir...ess-point.html

Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post
    Connecting one router to another will result in a double NAT, forming a LAN within another LAN. This will probably cause problems for applications that require port forwarding.

Better to convert your wireless router into a Access Point.

This can be done by connecting your wireless router to the wired router with a Crossover cable (not ethernet cable) and follow the guide of this link:

http://www.home-network-help.com/wir...ess-point.html
    ok, i managed to force reset the wireless router just now so that did me some good.
    trogers, thanks for the site..i see what you mean. but then, i sort of don't want to buy a crossover cable due to the location of my computer being in my room and my wired router being in the living room (i live in an apartment). are there sort of other alternatives besides using the crossover cable? and is a normal "LAN cable (RJ45/CAT5 type plug)" = ethernet cable? is there somehow some way i can still use the ethernet cable?

oh, btw, if the product says it can auto-sense MDI-MDI-X which also quoted from the home-network-help site, if the product has that, i don't need a crossover cable right?
    if i really have it, then how can i turn it on? or reconfigure my connections for connecting the wired router to the wireless router?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by loserpro2 View Post
    oh, btw, if the product says it can auto-sense MDI-MDI-X which also quoted from the home-network-help site, if the product has that, i don't need a crossover cable right?
    Correct...crossover cables are pretty much becoming extinct..a thing of the past. If your switch isn't auto MDI-X, most current generation computers are coming with gigabit onboard NICs..which themselves are auto MDI-X.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

oh ok....also, according to that website, it says i don't use the wan port on my wireless router. that's fine, but i'm just wondering if it doesn't work, then how can i manage the wireless router to make itself know it's an access point? i was thinking about how yeoldestonecat - you mentioned in some other thread to connect them together but not using the WAN port...or more basically the question is, what if i connect the cable, but it doesn't really react and thus gives me no connection? my computer will still be wired to the wireless router...

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Say your primary router is 192.168.1.1
    You have some other wireless router, by default it may be setup as 192.168.0.1. You want to use that other wireless router on your setup. IMO, you want to stay away from double NAT'ing...you don't want a router inside of another router.

You can bypass the router features of your wireless router, by simply using the access point features built into it. To manage it..you'll want it on the same IP range as your primary router. Access points often end in .245 or .253, your primary network is 192.168.1.xxx....so change your wireless router from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.245.

Now...you generally shouldn't have 2x DHCP services on the same network...you can get conflicts, so disable the DHCP service of your wireless router.

Next...uplink your wireless router to your primary router, using only a LAN port on each, you will not use the WAN port of your wireless router.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

ok. i'll give it a try soon - many thanks. i broke the wireless router's reset button due to hard poking with a sharp tool. have to get it fixed, so to confirm if it works will need a few days.