Thread: Vlans and switches question

Vlans and switches question

One of the switches I help administer doesnt have enough ports on it. One of the users needs to have 8 pc's accessing the network. He has ordered a small 12 port switch that will sit on his desk and he will plug the pcs into it. Therefore I only need one connection onto the actual network switch.

My question is this.....

These computers are only going to be accessing a remote server. I understand i need to set up a vlan for them to keep them separate from the rest of the network. Do i set this up as a trunk? And what ip address do i give to the Vlan? Is it the ip address of the server that they will be accessing? Any help would be appreciated as I have never added one of these small switches to a network before!!

Regards

The Brow

You would create a vlan with the ip address in the range of the server they are connecting to and activate the one port that the new switch will connect to with that vlan.
    Keep in mind that if you are using dhcp or dns, you will have to create entries for the new ip ranges.
    Also, vlans will need to be created on your default gateway also.

Cheers, I realised that the server they will be connecting to already has a vlan on another connected stack so i will set up the same vlan on the switch that i am connecting to.

Thanks for the advice. I was finding it quite confusing!!