Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Ok its starting already.. gas prices are now 2.68$/gallon... thats up 9cents from when I posted this for no reason what so ever but the idea that a hurricane exists

total bs how nothing is wrong with supply's but yet speculation makes it go up.

$2.78 a gallon low octane
    super is $2.98
    Spokane,Wa U.S.A
    1990 4x4 1 ton duelly 454BBC still parked till winter [8 mpg]
    otherwise a 94GMC jimmy 4x4 [on the fly] vortec v6 is a mighty 18 mpg!
    race fuel is freeking $8.90 a gallon at the track ....
    i think running alcohol by the 55gallon barrel is cheaper ?

i am in tomah,wi tonight and gas is $2.92 gal here.
    don't know what it is back home in nc

Banned
    bumped up to $3.05 here

2.58 today here

$2.58
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

$2.47 somewhere close by.

I think the next 'war' needs to be started over forcing the rest of the world to convert to OUR(the US') measuring system(s).

Here in KS today it was $2.79

Yesterday in Kahului, Maui, HI it was $3.58

Last thursday (8-16) in Honolulu, HI it was $3.11
    I know you are, but what am I?

$3.19 FTL
    Arcata CA

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    I think the next 'war' needs to be started over forcing the rest of the world to convert to OUR(the US') measuring system(s).
    That would put you at war with nearly every country in the world...

Countries using imperial are in red

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Ok its starting already.. gas prices are now 2.68$/gallon... thats up 9cents from when I posted this for no reason what so ever but the idea that a hurricane exists

total bs how nothing is wrong with supply's but yet speculation makes it go up.
    When a hurricane forces the closing of many oil rigs....thousands of rig workers sent home for many days...they will want to makeup for the loss of millions and millions of dollars worth of production.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    When a hurricane forces the closing of many oil rigs....thousands of rig workers sent home for many days...they will want to makeup for the loss of millions and millions of dollars worth of production.
    That's fair enough, but when you consider that many of the big oil companies are always making record annual and quaterly profits, but continue to increase prices, you have to wonder if they really need to bust our nuts. You guys in the States still have it easy though!

Quote Originally Posted by stevebakh View Post
    You guys in the States still have it easy though!
    Compared to you guys across the pond...yeah, prices always a lot lower. Sometimes I think it might wash out though....historically European cars have been smaller, lighter, smaller displacement engines, I'd wager substantially more fuel efficient.

Over here in the States...outside of people living in the dense city, it's the land of opulance and "My SUV is bigger than yours", and big V6 and V8 cars are the norm. We tend to drive a lot for any reason.

I'd be curious about the average % of weekly budget spent on gas over here, versus over there.

The price of gas has had an impact on me though...although I never bothered worrying about for my vehicle, since I just do that on the company card, but for my boat...I actually traded in my V6 outboard engine for a 4 cyl. I got tired of spending 70-90 bucks each time I took the boat out for a few hours of fun. Now I'm down to about 50-ish bucks for the same amount of time and distance.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

But you see its all speculation in the stock market that forces prices up or down even before the hurricane hits anything or forces anything shut down... its all on "Futures" and that needs to change.

Gas prices just went up .20 yesterday. Current price per gallon here is $2.95

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    But you see its all speculation in the stock market that forces prices up or down even before the hurricane hits anything or forces anything shut down... its all on "Futures" and that needs to change.
    I agree the oil companies do a substantial killing on prices. That's a different arguement.

That aside....the basic fundamentals of supply and demand apply here. It's not "speculation"...it's "knowing" that a hurricane is hitting the gulf, and knowing that rigs will be closed. It's been on the news for at least a good week now..that the hurricane would be hitting the gulf, yucatan, and texan areas. They knew it was coming...no rocket science or magic 8balls, or top secret insider info there. Supply is diminished, however they know that demand is still the same, the aircraft carrier SUVs will still be pulling up to the gas stations for their hour long fill-ups of the swimming pool sized gas tanks.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I agree the oil companies do a substantial killing on prices. That's a different arguement.
    not the oil companies... its the stock market... those traders are trading on "futures" of what might and could happen not whats really going on at that time.

Compared to you guys across the pond...yeah, prices always a lot lower. Sometimes I think it might wash out though....historically European cars have been smaller, lighter, smaller displacement engines, I'd wager substantially more fuel efficient.

Over here in the States...outside of people living in the dense city, it's the land of opulance and "My SUV is bigger than yours", and big V6 and V8 cars are the norm. We tend to drive a lot for any reason.

I'd be curious about the average % of weekly budget spent on gas over here, versus over there.

The price of gas has had an impact on me though...although I never bothered worrying about for my vehicle, since I just do that on the company card, but for my boat...I actually traded in my V6 outboard engine for a 4 cyl. I got tired of spending 70-90 bucks each time I took the boat out for a few hours of fun. Now I'm down to about 50-ish bucks for the same amount of time and distance.
    That's a fair point. I wouldn't say I would be a good candidate for comparison (for one, because I live in a large city area), but your point about the general efficiency and engine sizes of cars is a fair one. My previous (and first car) was a 1.4litre engine. My current car, a ford focus is a 1.6. My dad's BMW is 2litres and my mum's is a 1.4. I think a good majority of people own cars with an engine size less than or equal to 2 litres.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebakh View Post
    I think a good majority of people own cars with an engine size less than or equal to 2 litres.
    Yeah..Europe always had the nice sporty 4 cyl cars when I was growing up. US made 4 cyl cars were jokes....Eurpean ones faaaaar in the lead there. Back in the days of BMW 2002 tii, Alfa Romeo 2000 Sprint Veloce (my dad had one of those...I learned to drive on it at 12yo), VW Scirocco Wolfsburg, various Lotus models, Cosworth engines, etc etc.
    Guinness for Strength!!!