Thread: Use Intel 875P IDE Drivers or Windows Drivers?

Cabledude Avatar Fan purecomedy's Avatar

Use Intel 875P IDE Drivers or Windows Drivers?

As per other posts () I have had trouble with Seagate hard drives where my machine reboots randomly (and prior to that the hard drive light stays on constantly and there is some kind of click or chirp sound coming from either the HD or the PC speaker). The drives always seem to work fine for about 9 months and then the problem starts leading me to believe one of 3 things:
    1. Seagate drives consistently have a defect around 9 months (or is pregnant and has it's baby and then passes away?).
    2. My motherboard (ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe) has a slight flaw particularly in the hard drive controller and the 9 months is kind of random.
    3. This is a software driver problem...

So I assume right now it is software drivers. I downloaded the Intel Chipset drivers from their website and it looks like their version is 8.2.0.1011 (dated 2006) while Microsoft's version of the driver is 5.0.1007.0 (dated 2003) although 2 companies providing drivers I don't think the version means much.

In device manager I went to Devices by Connection and under ACPI Multiprocessor PC --> Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System --> PCI Bus --> Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers and I did an update driver and pointed it to the directory where I unzipped Intel drivers. Does it make sense to use the newer Intel drivers?

Note: One thing I notice is that when I do an "auto install" of Intel drivers it did not update IDE drivers. This is why I seem to have to do the update manually.

Anyway, I'll give the machine a reboot now and we'll see how things go...I wonder if I just f--ked over my machine with these drivers.
    Last edited by purecomedy; 08-16-07 at 04:36 PM.

Well at least my computer re-boot worked although I only changed the device which had my DVDRW drive on it. Now I'll try doing the device with my hard drive on it.

I'm still interested in any comments around using the Intel drivers vs. leaving things alone and using the Windows XP Drivers. I'm inclined to trust the Intel ones myself, you'd think over 3 or 4 years they would optimize drivers and fix a few bugs.

my 2 cents:
    I this issue has occurred on multiple drives then I'd say the problem is the motherviard itself and not the drivers or op sys. Either the board itself is 'flawed" or the bios needs updating.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    my 2 cents:
    I this issue has occurred on multiple drives then I'd say the problem is the motherviard itself and not the drivers or op sys. Either the board itself is 'flawed" or the bios needs updating.
    I know when I contacted Asus the guy said that it sounds like a bad drive....although when I talked to him I hadn't gone through the 3rd bad drive yet.

I still sort of wonder if I use the RAID controller if that will work fine.

I am using BIOS 1023 which is the latest non-Beta BIOS. There is a 1024 version that is BETA. I don't see any documentation to say what the Beta version does.
    Last edited by purecomedy; 08-17-07 at 02:11 AM.