Thread: HDTV via HDMI or YPrPb (HDCP issue)?

HDTV via HDMI or YPrPb (HDCP issue)?

My cable box is giving me fits with HDCP saying my HDTV doesn't support it. The cable box (TW) is plugged into a Denon receiver via HDMI and then is going to the Vizio 50" plasma via HDMI also. The screen that comes up and blocks the picture and any controls says the following:

Your HDTV does not support HDCP. Please use the YPrPb component connection to watch television.
    Will I loose any quality by using the YPrPb cable supplied as opposed to the HDMI?

Thanks for any help.

In short yes, HDMI is your best connection for video (or DVI), it is digital format.
    The Component cable (YPbPr) is analog.

You may not see a big difference but there will be a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    You may not see a big difference but there will be a difference.
    The difference, if any (depending on the cables and set), will be so minor that it's quite doubtful that anyone will notice.

The big draw of HDMI over component (or DVI) cables for consumers is its all-in-one setup (both video and audio), but the studios wanted it pushed for the whole HDCP mess (which you've obviously run into here). Analog technology has the bandwidth for full HD video and audio, so with the right equipment, you shouldn't miss out on anything.

Some TV sets may not accept a full 1080p signal over component (some do, but most require HDMI for that), but other than that, you'll basically get about the same picture from something that isn't requiring HDCP.

SG Enthusiast
    Well, that's familiar. Wouldn't be a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD by any chance?

I get that periodically, and just reboot everything. The magical access to the diagnostic screens with SNR, sig levels, error rate, real frequencies is:

Select + Exit until "diag" appears in the window, then press Exit once.

The three finger salute is: Volume+ + Volume- + Info.

We're talking software that is about the quality of Windows 3.1 - seems to have memory leaks, etc. I believe other models have the same sort of issues.

Time Warner will not support HDMI on these boxes - you are on your own.

If sound doesn't come through, it tells you how to fix it in the manual - you'll have to look a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The difference, if any (depending on the cables and set), will be so minor that it's quite doubtful that anyone will notice.

The big draw of HDMI over component (or DVI) cables for consumers is its all-in-one setup (both video and audio), but the studios wanted it pushed for the whole HDCP mess (which you've obviously run into here). Analog technology has the bandwidth for full HD video and audio, so with the right equipment, you shouldn't miss out on anything.

Some TV sets may not accept a full 1080p signal over component (some do, but most require HDMI for that), but other than that, you'll basically get about the same picture from something that isn't requiring HDCP.
    Well said ...
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Thanks for all the info, guys. Damn, TW.

Kip -- Yep, that's the box. The silver one. I figured they didn't support HDMI when they dropped off the box with a YPrPb cable with it. Yuck.

My uncle is actually a pretty senior (20 years or so) installer with TW locally. I might have to give him a ring to find out any "work arounds" or tips that he may know.

Anything useful you've found in that diag screen?

sux being a guinea pig eh

30 day return avail?

shuv yer box up your box

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

SG Enthusiast
    Actually, there are tons of diagnostic screens. I speny half an hour going through them.

Only two relly useful things. First, you can tell if the analog broadcast shannels are being sent to your box as analog or are digitized onto a sub-channel. Secondly, you can see the signal levels and SNR plus the underlying error rate just like a cable modem.

One neat feature of the box is that it is contiunally recording the last hour of the two channels it is tuned to, even when turned "off". I leave it set to CNN and MSNBC, then when I see a flash on the 'puter, I can go back and rewind to see the video.