Thread: Last try to fix corrurpt Nvidia drivers ?

Last try to fix corrurpt Nvidia drivers ?

I'm looking for suggestions to try before doing an OS re-install due to what I believe is a corrupt video driver.

The problem is my screen randomly goes to garble. I can run forever in safe mode but when I boot into XP normally, it will run for a while but eventually go to pot and I'm unable to make out anything on the screen other than a mass of colors. It started happening right after I moved and I did try re-seating the vid card. I tried running driver cleaner in safe mode, removing them thru the control panel and everything thing else I can think of. My temps are not that high either, 130F for the chip. One other thing- when I can get it to run in XP, it will be at 1024x1024. If I push it to the 1600x1200 I was running before, it will mess up the display.

Originally I thought the video card was taking a digger but if it runs fine in safe mode, that can't be the card itself.

Any thoughts from anyone ?
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children."

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If running Driver Cleaner..should be able to get it cleaned out fine. I've never even had to resort to that..the regular uninstall through add/remove works fine, even installing newer right over the old ones works fine.

Actually the fact that is runs fine in safe mode does not eliminate the possibility of a failing video card. In safe mode...it's running only 640x480x16....which doesn't even begin to utilize any of the video cards hardware and barely a whisker of video RAM. You could have failing RAM on the card..which doesn't get used in safe mode..thus doesn't reveal any issue, I've run across this in the past.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

"Actually the fact that is runs fine in safe mode does not eliminate the possibility of a failing video card. In safe mode...it's running only 640x480x16....which doesn't even begin to utilize any of the video cards hardware and barely a whisker of video RAM. You could have failing RAM on the card..which doesn't get used in safe mode..thus doesn't reveal any issue, I've run across this in the past."

Good point ! On that note perhaps the best thing to do is pull out my 9800 Pro out of my spare box and RMA the 6800. It's a BFG and supposedly carries a lifetime warranty.

That would be easier than re-installing the OS and the programs.

Thanks for the idea !

Edit-

When I think about it, I've never had any trouble with Nvidia drivers in 10+ years of toying with computers. That why I ditched ATI's along time ago..........
    Last edited by westy; 08-02-07 at 12:01 PM.

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    "Actually the fact that is runs fine in safe mode does not eliminate the possibility of a failing video card. In safe mode...it's running only 640x480x16....which doesn't even begin to utilize any of the video cards hardware and barely a whisker of video RAM. You could have failing RAM on the card..which doesn't get used in safe mode..thus doesn't reveal any issue, I've run across this in the past."

Good point ! On that note perhaps the best thing to do is pull out my 9800 Pro out of my spare box and RMA the 6800. It's a BFG and supposedly carries a lifetime warranty.

That would be easier than re-installing the OS and the programs.

Thanks for the idea !

Edit-

When I think about it, I've never had any trouble with Nvidia drivers in 10+ years of toying with computers. That why I ditched ATI's along time ago..........

Most likely you will get a nice upgrade from that 6800, at least I did on two I RMAed in the past since they are not made no more

I'd be expecting at least a 7800GT

As long as they make it an AGP card.

I'm stuck in the stone age !

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    As long as they make it an AGP card.

I'm stuck in the stone age !
    yeah even better seein as the 7800GT is the last one they made and are making for AGP.

I did the RMA and BFG sent me the same as I had before, a 6800 OC. Good news was at least it was my problem and not a driver as I suspected. Nvidia said it sounded like a RAM chip on it fried or something.

Thanks to speedguide, I save myself the hassle of a re-install and possibly me shelling out for a new vid card !!!!!!!!

Thanks guys !