Thread: Website Hacked

Post Website Hacked

Hey guys,

Recently the website i work for was hacked into. I'm not part of the overall website stuff, i just run a subsidery of it.

We use an .ASP based website but apparently were somehow hacked through the login (i.e. Login and Password boxes) by using some sort of code something like --/, so we've plugged that hole in the site.

I asked my boss (who wrote the site) if he tracked the bloke, and my boss said "nah mate, you can't track them down", but then i thought, what about the logs? Wouldn't you be able to track them through the logs? Unless they deleted and updated the logs...

What do you guys think?

*Bump*

Any suggestions?

What OS on the Server?

The Server is run on windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Pettos View Post
    The Server is run on windows.
    I would check event viewer for anything suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    I would check event viewer for anything suspicious.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

There are several different ways of capturing the data related to "the bloke." The data is available in the server and firewall (if you have one) logs. You can also add some ASP or PHP capture scripts to track and log all traffic coming in to vulnerable pages. These scripts can capture the IP address, referrer (not reliable), the time and all the variables the hacker used or attempted to use to gain entry to the administrative section or ftp directory of your website.

The problem you'll encounter is that many of these hackers are using chained proxies and are nearly (but not quite) impossible to track down to the original source IP.

But, let's assume you do track the source address down, what are you going to do then? Hacking is an extremely difficult crime to prosecute. Many law enforcement agencies in the USA, Australia, New Zealand, Europe and much of the rest of the world, will do absolutely nothing to assist in the prosecution of those who hack into your websites. I've assisted some reasonable large commercial clients with security, including tracking perps. I've even contacted the FBI in certain cases and received the same general response: "Unless you meet certain criteria, including the size of the company, we cannot help you."

The feds, local authorities and the government(s) will provide very little assistance to you, so you are left to pursue the matter in civil courts...and this is assuming you can prove that little Johnny accessed his grandmother's computer to hack into your website.