Thread: I Knew It!!!!

I Knew It!!!!

NEW YORK - So you thought that water in your Aquafina bottle came from some far-away spring bubbling deep in a glen?

Try the tap.

PepsiCo Inc. is the latest company to offer some clarity about the source of its top-selling bottled water as it announced on Friday it would change the label on Aquafina water bottles to spell out that the drink comes from the same source as tap water.

A group called Corporate Accountability International has been pressuring bottled water sellers to curb what it calls misleading marketing practices. The group has criticized PepsiCo over its blue Aquafina label with a mountain logo as perpetuating the misconception that the water comes from spring sources.

Aquafina is the single biggest bottled water brand, and its bottles are now labeled “P.W.S.” The new labels will spell out “public water source.”

“If this helps clarify the fact that the water originates from public sources, then it’s a reasonable thing to do,” PepsiCo spokeswoman Michelle Naughton said Friday. Aquafina water is taken from public sources then purified in a seven-step process.

The corporate accountability group is also pressing for similar concessions from The Coca-Cola Co., which owns the Dasani water brand, and Nestle Waters North America, seller of Nestle Pure Life purified drinking water, which gets some of its water from municipal sources.

Dasani’s Web site says that Dasani comes from local water supplies, is filtered using a process called reverse osmosis and enhanced with minerals.

“We don’t believe that consumers are confused about the source of Dasani water,” Coca-Cola spokeswoman Diana Garza Ciarlante said. “The label clearly states that it is purified water.”

Sales of bottled water has been a growing source of revenue for companies such as PepsiCo, based in Purchase, N.Y., and Atlanta-based Coca-Cola as they lessen their dependence on sales of traditional carbonated sodas, as consumer concern over health issues has weakened demand.

Nestle said Friday it has been printing new labels for its Pure Life water that say whether the water comes from municipal supplies or ground water, and the labels will begin showing up later this year. Pure Life is the only Nestle bottled water that uses public water sources and the company did not have an estimate for how much of its supply originates from the tap.

Wholesale sales of bottled water grew to $11 billion in 2006, according to the Beverage Marketing Corp., and the industry is expected to maintain growth rates of about 10 percent. The fastest growing segment of the industry is sales of bottles of less than 1.5 liters, which includes the individual serving sizes sold in many convenience and grocery stores.

The decisions by Nestle and PepsiCo come as criticism grows over environmental concerns about the industry’s use of local water sources as well as consumption of resin and energy to package and ship the bottles.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Banned
    Quote from Penn & Tellers BullSh&t

[on the subject of bottled water] Consumers are offered water with names conveying pure and pristine water sources. Ever hear of Alaskan Falls water? That must come from the crystal-clear glacial waters of our 49th state, right? Sorry, folks. Alaskan flows from this liqui-box corporation building in Worthington, Ohio. Does the brand Yosemite conjure up visions of the cool, prestine waters rushing through California's high sierras? Well, then the marketers have done their jobs. The source of Yosemite bottled water is actually 400 miles away in Northwest Los Angeles. How about Everest Water? Could our piddly show possibly afford to send a camera crew to Nepal? NOT NECESSARY! Everest comes from the industrial section of Corpus Cristi, Texas! In fact if you read the fine print on the ****ING LABEL, they even admit that the water comes from a MUNICIPAL SOURCE! THAT IS TAP WATER, BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF THE CULT OF THE BOTTLE!

I used to live next door to Alaskan Falls.

Growing up in Maine I never thought I'd buy water, but here in SF, the city water just tastes sorty of icky. Besides, everytime I drank it I'd think about it going through miles and miles of pipes underneath the city, and wonder what was in those pipes, were they clean, were they rusting, were there bugs in there, ect ect... so I started buying Arrowhead Spring Water. It tastes a lot better and I feel better about drinking it.
    There is security in fearlessness.

i thought this was common knowledge.... you would have to be naive to think otherwise
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

No bottled water comes from "Spring water" or taps into any mountain springs. Your best bet in these cases is to drink a beer..its water is purified more than bottled water or "city" water. Most cities water supplies are very clean anyway just so long as the pressure isn't dropped so the pipes crumble cause most are very old anyway.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Where water is “sourced” from and where it’s “bottled” could be two different places. We have two different springs here in Louisiana, but the water is “sourced” here and “bottled” at a plant in Georgia.

From Here

We in New Orleans have always made it a habit to drink either Kentwood or Abita Springs bottled water when we're not comfortable drinking Mississippi River water. However, we recently noticed on the back of a Kentwood bottle that the source was from Blue Ridge, Ga. Is this a normal policy of Kentwood, and does Abita follow the same practice?

Michael Dingler and Angela Pate

Dear Michael and Angela,

In 1963, a deep artesian spring was found in the piney woods of Kentwood, and the Kentwood Springs Water Company began delivering pure water to offices, retail outlets and homes in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

In 2003, the DS Waters of America company was created and took over the Kentwood Springs Water Company. DS Waters is headquartered in Atlanta, and the water is bottled at more than 25 manufacturing facilities and then delivered by a fleet of more than 2,000 delivery trucks to millions of homes and offices in 30 states.

The water is produced and distributed under many different brand names, including Kentwood Springs. And even though it may be bottled elsewhere, Kentwood Springs Water still comes from the protected spring source in Kentwood.

Last year, DS Waters began a new project costing $10 million at the Kentwood bottling plant. The intention was to double the bottling capacity for the small water bottles. There are also plans to produce gallon bottles of purified water just for babies.

Abita Water Company was purchased in 1996 by Reily Foods of New Orleans, and the name was changed to the Abita Springs Water Company. The Reily Company is an old family-owned company that produces, among other products, Blue Plate Mayonnaise, Luzianne Tea and CDM Coffee. Just recently, however, DS Waters acquired the Abita Springs Water Company as well, but it will continue to draw its supply from the 1,000-foot-deep artesian aquifer that flows under its namesake city.

Even though the water sources for Kentwood and Abita were not affected by Hurricane Katrina, there was some damage to both companies' plants and several other bottling facilities of DS Waters.

For the time being, the parent company plans to keep the brand names and facilities separate.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Certified SG Addict
    All I know is, bottled water tastes 1,000 times better than Oklahoma City tap water, so....**** the tap water.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    All I know is, bottled water tastes 1,000 times better than Oklahoma City tap water, so....**** the tap water.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Same here man. Can not stand tap water what so ever.
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I think that is what a lot of people forget, is the taste factor. If you like it better then drink it. It’s not like they are standing around the plant holding little plastic bottles under the faucet all day.

In most cases the bottled water is at least charcoal-filtered multiple times. Much better then drinking water out your garden hose out back the house.

I’ll drink damn near any water, so long as it doesn’t come from Jose’s well in outback Mexico.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

I drink out of the dog's water dish or a mud puddle. whichever is closest.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.