Thread: Step 2: assembly

Advanced Member

Cool Step 2: assembly

Hello all again. Well I have finally purchased a motherboard, case, processor, 2 sticks of crucial ram, and a silver orb cooling system. Here is the list of items, i need any advice you guys have to give about assembling the system as this is the first time that I have ever done this. Thanks,

Abit-KT7A
    1.2 ghz t-bird processor
    silver orb cooling fan
    2 sticks of crucial 128mb memory
    ATX case with 300w power supply

I still need to by the rest of the items such as video card, hard drive, and cd rom. One more thing which would you say is better, the plextor or yamaha for a cdrw?

Thanks again
    Fee was a buddhist prodigy...
    Long past the age of maturity...
    Someday he knew it would set him free...
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

well, if you want you can install the mobo into the case, and the CPU/RAM/HSF into their respective spots, connect the ATX power connector to the mobo, and the I/O connectors (case LED and botton leads). there's not much else you can do at the moment except maybe power it up and listen to the annoying POST beeps saying there is no VGA device detected. i remember the feeling, tho'. just got the stuff and now you wanna play!

anyways, if you dont have a wrist-ground i would pick one up. they're pretty cheap and are a small price to pay for static electricity insurance. if not, then make sure you touch an unpainted part of the chassis (preferrably the PS) before you touch any of the components.

(*oh, and i would read the entire manual for your mobo at least once*)

[ 05-14-2001: Message edited by: smaier69 ]
    "I think this day will go down as a black day in the history of mankind"

-Leo Szilard - December 2, 1942, following the first successful nuclear fission test.

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720

From personal experience, putting on the orb series fans are like trying to mount a horny dog onto a frightened cat. I ended up chipping my cpu core on my celery and lucky I got it replaced for free (was still covered under the store warrentee). And like smaier said, read the manuel atleast once, fully through. Make sure you know how to put the led case cables onto the board.
    Now to answer your questions,
    1.)Definately go for a plextor, you won't regret it. The 12x IDE writer should save you some cash (Be prepared to spend about $400w/tax CAd on this burner)
    2.) You can either wait for a Geforce3 price to drop, or get a Geforce 2 GTS pure. It should last you gaming needs for a nice year or two.($234 CAD wo/tax)
    3.)Maxtor is finally making good hd's, so picking up a 20gig 7200rpm hd won't be such a bad idea (Price is about $170 CAD wo/tax).
    You can get a larger hd memory size if you feel you need it.
    Anything else?
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro