Thread: Setting Up a Good Backup Job

Setting Up a Good Backup Job

Here's the deal...
    Until recently we have been running a backup job that was created before I started working here. We lost some files and I could not restore them from our backup. (I was able to pull the deleted files off of the hard drive using data recovery software, so I was safe there) After looking more closely at the backup job I figured exactly what he was doing...
    We are running Backup Exec 8.6 and were using two external hard drives (250 GB) to create backup-to-disk folders. We would switch the drives out every day so we could take the latest job off-site. The problem is that we could not restore from the hard drive. My first question is this: If we want to backup and restore directly from a hard drive that we take off-site do we need to create a REMOVABLE backup-to-disk folder instead?
    Secondly, as a temporary fix I have begun backing up to one of the hard drives using backup-to-disk just as was previously done, but I began duplicating the job to tape. My question here is this: Does the tape reference back to the hard drive (do I need to keep the backup-to-disk folder on the hard drive) or is the tape completely free of the hard drive once the duplicate job is done (can I delete the backup-to-disk folder from the hard drive to allow more room). I ask this because after running a few jobs like this it seems that when I delete the B2D folder off the hard drive that the tape no longer restores as it previously did.
    Thirdly, our tape drive is only a 36 GB/ 72 GB drive and I was wondering about upgrading since our backup job is about 110 GB. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether a Sony AITE200UL USB Tape Drive would work with Backup Exec 8.6...
    Sorry there are so many questions... I didn't realize the post would be this long. If anyone can help me out it would be great... Thanks!
    Prayed like a martyr dusk til dawn
    Begged like a hooker all night long
    Tempted the devil with my song
    And got what I wanted all along

My latest idea is this:
    Setup a job to run a full backup once a week on removable hard drive using a B2D folder and duplicate that to tape.
    Run a differential backup on every following day of the week after the full backup.
    This will give me the chance to have two weeks of daily backups at any given time.
    I will then use a secondary hard drive to perform a full backup and either use differential for every month after that or just perform one full backup every month.
    If you see any problems with this or have any tips on how to best set this up let me know... thanks!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'm not fond of removable drives for regular backups, nor USB attached devices. I know USB is designed to be hot swap...but I just don't like the idea of popping a plug on a server every day. Even if you go through the proper powering down shutdown feature of the USB ports ..in the GUI that sits in the systray.

May have been able to recover the backups from the drives if you performed an inventory of the drive.

I always insist on all my clients having a full backup every day of the week...no differentials for me.

Internal SCSI or SATA driven devices are my preference. Currently fond of the Dell PowerVault RD1000 removable drives..it's a laptop SATA drive cartridge. Iomegas REV drives are also nice.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the tip! I'm looking at the RD1000 now. Looks great...