Thread: General Networking Problem

General Networking Problem

So I've recently decided I want to network my 2 existing computers together and share my Bellsouth FastAccess DSL account. This is the first time I've ever tried to network 2 computers so I would really appriciate any help anyone can offer on getting my network working.

Before purchasing the second, and newer, computer (the one I'm currently using) I had already set up my BEFSR41 Linksys Router to be able to connect to Xbox Live with my Xbox 360. Seeing as the network with the 360 worked fine, I assumed all I would have to do is install a NIC and it's drivers on my old computer (it never had one installed because I had a USB modem with dail-up on it until I purchased this computer, which came with a USB DSL modem as well but I knew I would eventually want to network the 2 together so I bought an EG1032 Linksys NIC shortly after I got the DSL modem from Bellsouth). I ordered a 75ft CAT-5 patch cable to run from my bedroom (where the older computer now resides) to the router in the family computer room and a Netgear GA311 NIC for the older computer as well.

Earlier today I got the time, so I decided I would go ahead and get the network set up so I could transfer some work files over to the computer in my bedroom. I installed the NIC on the old computer, the drivers installed fine, and all appeared to be going well until I connected it to my router and ran the Windows XP network setup wizard. On my router, the three LED indicators above Port 1 are all lit up (port one is the old computer in the bedroom) as well as those over Port 2 (the newer computer). The LED indicators on the backs of both of the NICs are green and appear to be working fine so I figured that would rule out it being a hardware (at least with the NICs) or a cable issue.

After running the Network Setup Wizards on both computers and restarting, I still cannot see either computer from the other on the workgroup window in the Control Panel, and the old computer in the bedroom that was previously not connected to the internet, still is unable to connect. When I started up XP after installing the drivers, the connection status in the toolbar said: "Limited or no connectivity". I hit Repair and it gets stuck on: "Renewing your IP Adress". If I disable the connection and re-enable it shows the connection as Connected but under status it is stuck on: "Acquiring network address".

Any help or ideas on what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appriciated.

Also I'm not sure if it will help but the specs on the two computers are:

(Newer Comp)
    Dell Dimension 9100
    Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
    1GB Ram
    Running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 Installed
    Linksys EG1032 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Adapter
    Bellsouth FastAcess DSL service running through a Westell WireSpeed modem

(Older Comp)
    Dell Dimension XPS B733r
    733 MHz
    256 MB RAM
    Running Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 Installed
    Netgear GA311 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Adapter

Both computers are connected to a BEFSR41 Linksys Router using CAT-5 patch cables.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    When you get that "Limited or no connectivity" message on your network connection..it means Windows was not able to obtain an IP address from a DHCP source, so it auto assigned itself a 169.254.xxx.xxx address.

The Linksys routers, by default, run DHCP, and manage a 192.168.1.xxx network.

So, things to check....
    *DHCP is still enabled on the router
    *Good patch cable
    *Try a different port on the router..may be a bum port
    *Latest firmware on the router? Older firmware may not work well with some new NICs such as giga NICs..auto detection.
    *Depending on which version of router you have..dont' share the last port with the 5th uplink port
    *Ensure latest NIC drivers
    *Try a TCP/Winsock repair utility
    http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Win...sockxpfix.html
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the reply, I double checked under IPCONFIG and sure enough I had a 169.254... IP which as the NetGear manual says is a sure sign the NIC is not configured properly. I also realized I can't access the Router settings up when I type it's IP into IE like I can on this computer.

*DHCP is still enabled on the router
    Doubled check it and it is still running according to the router settings screen. The number of users is set to 50 and it is enabled. Oddly enough when I check the DHCP clients table it shows two IP addresses assigned but the MAC address of the 2nd computer isn't right.

*Good patch cable
    *Try a different port on the router..may be a bum port
    Killed two birds with one stone and hooked the same cable up through the same port I used with the other computer (Port 1) to my Xbox 360 and connected to Xbox Live fine.

*Latest firmware on the router? Older firmware may not work well with some new NICs such as giga NICs..auto detection.
    It's running the latest that there is, but that was from 2002 unfortunately (the router is an older V.2). Just to double check I ran the firmware update utility and got the "No new firmware avalible" deal.

*Depending on which version of router you have..dont' share the last port with the 5th uplink port
    I'm assuming by last you mean Port 4, however the WAN Port would technically be the 5th Port (Uplink is before Port 1). Only Ports 1 and 2 are in use though.

*Ensure latest NIC drivers

Double checked the ones that came with the NIC, they're the newest avaible.
    While checking around NetGears website I did see someone mention he was having trouble getting an older computer of his to work properly with the card. He said the card was made for PCI 2.2+ and his older computer's PCI bus was 2.1. I'm not sure how to check my PCI version number (I looked up the specs for that model's motherboard but didn't see it) so I'm not sure if thats something worth looking into or not.

*Try a TCP/Winsock repair utility
    Burnt it to a disc and tried running it just now. It ran and did it's thing then asked me to reboot, after windows booted it didn't appear to have fixed the problem.