Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am happy with Windows Vista

I am happy with Windows Vista

Yeah, so I upgraded to Vista Ultimate x64 this past Tuesday. I have had nothing but good luck with it. I had only one problem so far, but it doesn't really frustrate me. There is no Vista x64 driver for the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard I have, but that is M-Audio's fault, not MS's. So right now I am using the integrated audio on the motherboard. I can purchase an X-Fi if I really need to.

I might have another problem, haven't gotten to it yet, but I thin there is no Vista driver for my HP printer, again, this is HP's fault for not providing the driver, not MS's.

Other than that it works great, no crashes, no oddities, everything is working smooth and a lot faster than I thought it would. I'm only running 2 GB of RAM and its faster than I thought it would be with 2GB. I'm running Aero with a full gadget filled sidebar and everything is very responsive.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm happy with Vista right now, I know a lot of people are weary of it, but I'm a pretty heavy computer user and so far, since Tuesday, no major problems and the speed has not disappointed me. All my applications I use have installed and work just fine. Outlook 2007 is much faster in Vista than it was in XP, which is very nice. I've installed 4 games so far and they work just fine. I'm happy.

So there ya go
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Good to see a positive Vista post.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I thought it was OK, and went back to XP because of driver problems. Like you mentioned, not MS fault.

I can see it being an admin nightmare on a domain when it comes time to upgrade some business.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

I run Vista Ultimate via virtual machine and I love it. Not ready to make it my main OS yet, but I may make the switch soon!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Ya, I'm ok with it also ...still a few issues with it but meh...and Brent ...even the X-fi has issues with Vista ..which i'm sure you're aware of....the creative forums are littered with complaints....

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    I thought it was OK, and went back to XP because of driver problems. Like you mentioned, not MS fault.

I can see it being an admin nightmare on a domain when it comes time to upgrade some business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    Ya, I'm ok with it also ...still a few issues with it but meh...and Brent ...even the X-fi has issues with Vista ..which i'm sure you're aware of....the creative forums are littered with complaints....
    Yeah, driver issues are still present, but that's not really MS's fault, it is all up to the manufacturers. I know HP has said they won't support my printer, and M-Audio hasn't released a driver for the Revolution 7.1 since 2004. These manufacturers need to get on the ball.

Anyway's, the integrated audio is working just fine, it just takes up more CPU cycles than a discrete solution would.

As for the printer, it is connected to my server running a different OS, so I can still use it.

Everything else I use has drivers.

I don't like it...........yet. I ran a dual boot for a time and while it functioned just fine, I haven't learned all the registry tweaks I need. My friend bought a new Dell and then upgraded to Vista when his DVD came. He hated it so much he paid me to "Put it back the way it came". He didn't like the way him and his wife logged on and off and he's too PC dumb to spend time learning and tweaking. I didn't mind as I ended up with a $50 Gift card to a local restaurant!
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

I admit, I have done a bit of tweaking to make it to my liking. For example disabling UAC and disabling driver signing requirement in the x64 version. Turning these things off has made my vista life much happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Yeah, driver issues are still present, but that's not really MS's fault, it is all up to the manufacturers. I know HP has said they won't support my printer, and M-Audio hasn't released a driver for the Revolution 7.1 since 2004. These manufacturers need to get on the ball.
    These manufacturers are on the ball. They will be giving Vista drivers for their new product range and you will be emptying your wallet.

Now you know why the business sector is slow in adopting Vista - the improvements in Vista do not justify the extra cost in hardware upgrade.

I admit, I have done a bit of tweaking to make it to my liking. For example disabling UAC and disabling driver signing requirement in the x64 version. Turning these things off has made my vista life much happier.
    I like it as well. I would leave UAC on if it worked w/ Ventrilo and Xfire (it seems to block their push-keys while in game), but it doesn't. I'm using x86 ATM but was on x64. I guess I just wanted coretemp to work (speedfan did work in x64 for diode readings tho)

Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post
    These manufacturers are on the ball. They will be giving Vista drivers for their new product range and you will be emptying your wallet.

Well, no. There is a statement on HP's site about my printer stating that they will not be providing a Vista driver.

M-Audio hasn't released a driver update for the Revolution 7.1 since 2004. There will most likely never be a Vista driver, which is unfortunate.

It's ok though, there are alternatives.

Well, no. There is a statement on HP's site about my printer stating that they will not be providing a Vista driver.

M-Audio hasn't released a driver update for the Revolution 7.1 since 2004. There will most likely never be a Vista driver, which is unfortunate.

It's ok though, there are alternatives.
    He means just that -- they will not make a driver and you'll buy their new printer which DOES have a vista driver

Same here Brent, I installed Vista Business this past week on my main rig, dual booting with XP Pro so I have something to fall back on if needed. I have had Vista Business on my laptop for sometime now and have had a few issues. But on my main rig it runs perfect, all my hardware worked right after the install, I still updated drivers from certain manufacturers but I didn't have to. I figured I would do it so I would use Vista more and learn more about it since I don't use my laptop as near as much. A lot of clients are bringing me new pcs with Vista so I need to know of the ins and outs with it. So far I have to admit it runs faster than XP, I also have 2GB of RAM (1GB on my laptop and you can see the difference).

A little tip, if you have an old jump drive that supports Ready Boost stick in an empty USB slot and dedicate the whole thing to Ready Boost, nice little performance boost.

I've heard ready boost really isn't all that, only speeding up boot and shutdown times. I haven't tried it yet though myself.

Here is my Vista desktop Link

One thing I can't figure out, how do you get the darn network icon in the system tray to go away? I cannot find an option to disable the icon.

Well, i am taking the plunge, about to install Vista Ultimate on my Thinkpad T60!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
    Well, i am taking the plunge, about to install Vista Ultimate on my Thinkpad T60!

One thing you will like is how quickly it installs, I was surprised, much faster than XP.

Yeah, when I installed it on VMWare, i was surprised how fast it went.......Viats Upgrade Advisor says that I need to get the driver update for my UltraNav Glidepoint on the laptop.

One thing I can't figure out, how do you get the darn network icon in the system tray to go away? I cannot find an option to disable the icon.
    Easy, right click on the Vista start button - properties - notification area - uncheck network.

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    Easy, right click on the Vista start button - properties - notification area - uncheck network.

'doh, that was too easy lol, I was looking all over the network properties haha, thanks