Thread: Microsoft extends 360 warranty for red light victims

Microsoft extends 360 warranty for red light victims

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/petermooreletter.htm

As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date. We will also retroactively reimburse any of you who paid for repairs related to problems indicated by this error message in the past. In doing so, Microsoft stands behind its products and takes responsibility to ensure that every Xbox 360 console owner continues to have a fantastic gaming experience.

WoW! Way to go microsoft.

····

····

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    WoW! Way to go microsoft.
    Its good to be rich.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Its good to be rich.
    Their console division is still one of the bigger financial drains for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Their console division is still one of the bigger financial drains for the company.
    Why they are doing it then ?
    To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
    than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata

Like anything else Microsoft does, the eventual goal is market domination and profit. The same is pretty much true of any other company.

Nintendo had a great jump on the market after Atari crashed and burned. Sega did the same, although they were slightly less successful at it. Sony already had their massive electronics experience, and combined that with their multimedia branches as well as the gaming knowledge they got from working with Nintendo to make their splash into the world of console gaming.

What exactly did Microsoft have to give them an edge in this market, aside from their massively deep pockets? (Hint: Not very much).

The original XBOX was a great console with some fantastic games. While it certainly came nowhere close to the success of the PS2 (even now, the XBOX is long dead while the PS2 thrives), it put their foot in the door, which was about as much as they could hope for being the new kid on the block. They incurred heavy financial losses, but the belief was that in the long run, this would be another highly profitable area for the company. Considering how close they are (or were, depending on how this $1.1 billion repair bill is handled) to turning a profit in this area, I'd say it was a fairly wise choice.

You might want to give this a read: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/73/10

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    One of, I would think it would be the biggest!

I think nintendo is the only one making money off the console industry.

I think.. I know I dont give a crap how profitable they are as long as they fix my console if it breaks. FREE!

····

····

Quote Originally Posted by Shagster View Post
    I think nintendo is the only one making money off the console industry.
    In the end, all three will turn profits. The main difference is Nintendo is making boatloads of money while the other two are struggling just to make their R&D costs back.

pfft. my xbox is voided if u know what i mean